XLVIII. I'll Take Care Of This

Start from the beginning

"I'm hurting him. I'm not keeping in mind how my actions will affect us both."

"It seems you know where your mistake is. So enough hitting yourself and actually start making things better, okay?"

It was a pretty straightforward conversation. Jake doesn't know and doesn't want to know the full details - he thinks it's something he should stay out of, thus he gave her an immediate response.

Minji looked down at the floor as she nodded her head slowly. They're on a vacation, away from the responsibilities of the real world for a couple of days - surely she would be able to make up with Heeseung - or better yet, give him the answer he's been waiting years for.

"Afraid you won't get chosen?" Sunoo spoke as he flipped the pages of his book. He saw Jungwon keep turning his head to look at Minji a few rows behind.

In the time between the day they made a deal up to this moment they're on a plane, Jungwon had barely seen Sunoo do anything.

"I'm starting to doubt that you can help me." Jungwon said. "You haven't done anything." he added.

If it was up to him, he could easily keep Minji to himself. But, you know, having her best friend by his side is leverage.

"That's because there is no need for me to do anything yet. You've been with Minji every day since our deal, and Heeseung hyung hasn't appeared once to interrupt you, correct?"

Jungwon gave a slight nod as a response.

"See. There was no need for me to do anything, so I didn't do anything. Understand?" Sunoo closed his book, turning his head to face Jungwon. "But I sense something will happen this vacation. Just act natural, I'll do the rest."

Jungwon glared at Sunoo. He supposed he can leave it in the older's capable hands.

---

A few hours after the group of students have arrived at the island, they had already gone to the resort they'll be staying at. The school was able to afford two big resort houses, one for the boy students and one for the girls - each being accompanied by two teachers.

Since it was only day 1 of 4, they had no agenda for the rest of the day - hence the students were allowed to roam the massive beachside resort, or go out and explore the island if they want - the only condition is that they have to be back by 7 in the evening.

Minji waited outside the boys' house, sitting by the benches outside.

"Mhmm, yeah we should definitely go get some of that tropical smoothie thing we saw by the beach." Sunoo said, speaking to Jay and Sunghoon as the three walked through the door.

The oldest - Jay, saw Minji sitting and walked up to her. "We're heading to the beach, want to join us?" he asked her enthusiastically.

"Ahh, I'd like to, but I was hoping to spend time with Heeseung right now. Is he inside?" She asked.

"Heeseung hyung? He left the house about an hour ago, though he didn't say where he was going."

"Ahhh, I see. Well then, I'll wait here for a bit longer. I'll catch up if I can." Minji said, the boys nodding as they left.

Though one of them - Sunoo, had already brought his phone out.

To: Jungwon

Minji's outside the house, alone. But she's looking for Heeseung hyung. You should get to her before he comes back. Text me if he arrives, I'll take care of him."

---

The calm breeze of the sea that moved the leaves of the trees moved Heeseung's fluffy hair as well.

The teenager sat on a rock on the left side of a road. The long road was located at a high altitude like it the road was made on a cliff - with the right side being the sea.

He stared not at the beautiful blue sea, but at the cracked grey cement of the road.

"Hello, Miyoung. It's me. How long has it been? 5 years I think." He spoke out loud as if he was talking to someone beside him - but he was just alone.

He took a deep breath, not knowing what to say - but still smiling.

"I still haven't forgiven myself for what happened. If I didn't drink too much, then I wouldn't have been angry at you, then I wouldn't have to go all the way here, and you wouldn't have to sacrifice yourself just to save me from getting hit by a car. If only I took your rejection with maturity..."

He paused for a while, catching his breath. Tears rolled down his face as memories of her went into his head.

"At first I thought the Universe is getting back at me for what I did to you - but I know my current circumstances are far less than...you know...death."

The wind blew a breeze again. It was just a small gust, but to Heeseung, it felt like a sign - like the sound of the winds were her voice - Miyoung's voice.

"It's just love problems." He said, before pausing for the nth time.

"Her name? Hwang Minji. She's a special girl, I've liked her for a long time. She's smart, funny, pretty, cares a lot for others, and a lot more. She makes me really happy. How special?? Well...The first thing I do when I wake up and the last thing I do before I sleep is tell her good morning or goodnight." He said with a soft smile before his smile faded away and was replaced with a depressed and horrified look.

"You think you deserve to live a happy life knowing you were the reason I died?? You are so selfish. You don't deserve nice things! You don't deserve to be happy!" The whispers echoed from the wind to his ear

The atmosphere - at least in Heeseung's eyes - changed. The road suddenly grew cracks, the leaves fell from the trees and dried up, the flowers nearby withered, the waves of the sea became more and more aggressive, and thunder roared from the dark clouds above.

"The last time you loved someone, they died! I died! Do you think you love this girl?? You're just going to end up killing her the same way you killed me!" The whisper turned into shouting.

Heeseung covered his ears as he heard eerie sounds and whispers that sounded like Miyoung - he experienced paranoia. 

He knows that that isn't real - that this voice is absolutely not Miyoung trying to communicate with him. It may be a mental health issue that he needs to get checked.

With that, he immediately left the place, running as fast as he could - trying to get back to the resort where there are a lot of people, a place where he can calm down.

"Sorry, I just needed to take matters into my own hands. I hope you understand." a boy laughed and smiled a sly smile, eyes glowing emerald green.

-----

author's note:

hello, yes I'm alive and so is this book. I'm really sorry it took so long, school and personal matters made it hard for me to continue the book right away :((