𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝚆𝙴𝙻𝚅𝙴 -Edith-

Start from the beginning

Silence arose again, Heidi refused to tell this lady anything, but the woman waited patiently, she had to make sure Heidi actually lived somewhere before leaving. My human eventually caved in and repeated apfelstrße twice before the woman caught it. She could have reacted in many ways, she could have sighed in relief, she could have smiled, she could have nodded, but she gasped and chuckled.

"You know what? That's great, I have to be there at nine!' She said, her dimples showing. Heidi's curiosity won against her shyness—thanks to mean—and she finally spoke on her own accord to this new acquaintance.

"Why? Where are you going?"

The woman lit up at the clearer sound of her voice and began rambling. I would discover later through the years that this human particularly enjoyed rambling.

"Oh, my old mother needs my help, I will be sorting out all her books. I think it will take me all day, she has such a wonderful collection, but unfortunately she can't keep holding onto it all forever, no one has forever anyway, she'll be gone soon." Those last words hit Heidi hard, she had thought about death before (and held onto a few unanswered questions about it) but never had she imagined it happening to her own parents, it was inconceivable.

"Does that make you sad?" Heidi sort of cut her off.

"What?"

"That your mom won't live forever."

There was a brief silence, where the woman stared at Heidi, her eyes wide with surprise. Just a second ago the girl barely wanted to say hello to her and now she was asking her questions about her relation with death. Heidi's sudden spurt in confidence and trust fascinated her. What can I say, my capacity is fascinating.

"Well," She started, she wasn't the type to hide or filter anything. "Not really. My mother is tired you see, she's almost a hundred, can you believe it?  She's a whole century old! And everyone has to die at some point so I'm glad she got many good years." Heidi nodded, thoughtful, filled to the brim with new questions. "I want mine to live up to a hundred too." She said, looking up at the lady.

Relief washed over her just now, at the mention of Heidi's mother, all she had worried about was gone now, this girl had a house and a mother. All was good.

"How old are you, dear?" She then asked.

"I'm seven," Heidi answered.

The woman's smile brightened even more, if that were even possible.

"You'll be in school soon then!" she exclaimed. Heidi nodded. "I'm a teacher, but unfortunately I don't teach here. I think you'd be a great student."

The compliment made Heidi smile, she had no idea what made this person think that but she took her words gladly and with pride. "Really?" She inquired, not really sure she meant it. "Well of course, I like creative students, I noticed you were painting the sky, it truly deserves to be painted today. It's wonderful.  I also like curious students, not to mention those who almost fall into fountains at 7 in the morning." She chuckled and Heidi turned beetroot red, maybe giggling just a little.

"What's your name?" She then asked as they both smiled when the sun hit their faces.

'Heidi." The girl said, "What's yours, frau?

"Edith, I always liked Edith." She answered with confidence.

"Is your name Edith?"

"No it's Gertrude."

I tried to prevent it, but Heidi couldn't help but explode into laughter, almost falling back into the fountain. Gertrude grabbed her arm again and joined her in her amusement.

"I'm sorry" Heidi stammered, Gertrude waved it off.

"There is no need to apologise Heidi, my name sounds like it belongs to an old witch."

Heidi bent herself forward, laughing so much her stomach hurt.

"I'm very serious! You should draw me and then call the painting 'old witch'"

Heidi howled with laughter and grabbed her paintbrush right then and there. It took her a while, more people filled the avenue, but Gertrude stayed there, watching Heidi paint something quite abstract, pointing out some things and making her laugh. The church bells then suddenly resonated through the street nine times. Gertrude stood up quickly, realising she was late, Heidi's eyes trailed away from her painting and suddenly she remembered she hadn't said anything to anyone about her leaving this morning.

Oh no, She thought as she hurriedly grabbed all her things. The older lady quickly helped her and then took her small hand.

"I assume we're both late," She sighed. Heidi shook her head, not exactly.

"Mama doesn't know I'm here."

Gertrude's eyes widened.

"Oh! Then let's quickly get you home, then I'll go sort some ancient books out."

I wished I could have smiled at them. I had managed to convince Heidi's curiosity to win over her shy nature, and I was entirely responsible for this strange friendship. I just knew Gertrude would be good for Heidi somehow, I couldn't explain why I was so convinced about that.

"Alright? You little Claude Monet." Heidi had heard that name before, she smirked, feeling smart for pretty much the first time in her life.

"Alright. You old witch."