"Good day, sir," Y/N said, rising and folding her hands neatly across her stomach, taking care not to crease the scroll. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?"

"I have come for two reasons. The first being that scroll in your hands, which your mother sent me to collect, and the second being that I have been requested by my lord to present you with a letter." With an elegant sweep of his hand, he revealed the letter that had been tucked away in his breast pocket and handed it to Y/N. She took it and exchanged it with the one she was holding. She didn't miss the careful and calculated eyes of her parents that followed her form as she took a few steps back into her room.

"We shall leave you now, daughter," her mother said.

The group left Y/N's room, and as soon as she heard the click of the doors shutting, she flopped down onto her bed, letting out a long sigh of relief.

"What's the letter?" Nox was sitting next to Y/N, fiddling with one of the imaginary threads on her imaginary dress.

"Perhaps it is a romance letter," Luna swooned, flopping down next to Y/N.

"Doubtful," Y/N sighed. "It's from the prince."

"But-"

Both Nox and Y/N glared at Luna, shutting down any possible thoughts. Luna looked away and disappeared a second later, accompanied by Nox, as Y/N banished them both to the back of her mind. She was getting better at controlling her magic, but it was still difficult at times.

With the two gone, Y/N cracked the seal on the envelope and pulled out the letter

Dear Lady Y/N of House Umbra,

I hope this letter finds you well. It has been some time since we last spoke, so I hope that you are doing well.

As you are most likely aware, I shall be leaving this afternoon for Night Raven College on the Isle of Sages, along with Lilia and Silver Vanrouge, and Sebek Zigvolt. I am sure that you are well aware of this school, so I shall not waste time with small talk. I remember that you hated it when someone beat about the bush, rather than getting straight to the point. The reason that I am writing to you is to request for you accompany me this year to Night Raven College. I know that you have always dreamed of travelling beyond the kingdom and that you have not had that chance yet. I have already spoken with Headmaster Dire Crowley, and he said that he would be willing to accept you as a student if you come as my advisor.

If you wish to accompany me, please meet me outside the castle by the fountain at 3 o'clock this afternoon for our departure at 3:30. I hope to see you this afternoon.

Sincerely,

Prince Malleus of House Draconia, Heir to the Throne of the Briar Valley

Y/N shut the letter and sat up, her lips pursed in concentration. She did want to get out, at least for a little bit... but the prince would be there... Was she really willing to take that step so soon? True it had been a while since she had last seen him, but it still felt like only a few days ago that she was face to face with... her.

She shook her head. She was being ridiculous. It was a professional position. There was no reason for her to be worrying about it. It would be strictly professional... right?

Y/N glanced towards the floor-length mirror that hung on the door of her wardrobe. Slowly, she rose from the side of her bed and approached the pane of glass, staring at her reflection. Her hair was pinned up in the style that her mother preferred, her waist cinched in a tight corset, with black and indigo fabric that trickled down like a foaming waterfall. Y/N huffed and pulled up the top few layers of fabric, pursing her lips when she saw just how many layers of fabric were crowding her legs. At least he wouldn't make her dress so obscenely. Perhaps he might even allow her to wear trousers.