Chapter Twelve

Grace

"Do you even know where to go? I mean, we've been riding for days now and there's no village in sight. Maybe we should get a map. Oh, no, we can't because there is nothing around us but trees, grass, more trees, and, oh look, trees."

"How long have you known me already?", she sighed.

"For far too long..."

"And how often did I not know where to go?"

"You remember that one time when you—"

Faster than he could even turn his head to grin at her, she shoved her elbow into Jamie's side. "Don't you dare remind me of that."

No, this had indeed not been her brightest moment, and she preferred not to think of it.

"Aside from that, you always knew where to go, but until now, we never traveled across the whole kingdom, Gracie."

At this point, the only thing keeping her from stabbing him was her imagination. And he knew that, so he avoided her glare and looked back at Ciden and Aderah, who had been listening to this whole conversation.

"Everyone who thinks we are lost better not raise their hand if they want to keep it," he exclaimed.

"Who ever told you you were funny? I'd like to have a little talk with them."

Now, he actually got the nerve to laugh at her. "You have talked to this person for the last ten minutes. I'm hilarious. And since you won't appreciate that, I have to tell myself at least once a day."

"I hate you."

"You love me."

"I hate you even more than two seconds ago."

Grace knew their two accomplices behind them were watching them curiously. They were also probably wondering how two people, who seemed to be as close as she and Jamie were, could argue this much. It was fun, that's how.

If they had nothing to talk about, they would always find a way to start a discussion about the stupidest things. It mostly started with Jamie annoying her, and it always ended with the same phrases.

It was true, though. She did love him. And no matter how cold she acted sometimes, or how many times she insulted him, he always knew that.

Aderah disrupted their little argument and pointed ahead of them. "I think there are houses. Over there."

As Grace looked forward, she could indeed see the wooden roofs of a few buildings. The other houses must be hidden behind the pine trees that surround the area.

She turned over to look at Jamie and grinned.

He rolled his eyes at her. "Don't say a word."

Her grin widened.

„Did you know about this?" Ciden, who came up next to them, asked.

"Yes, I've been here once as a child. I remembered the approximate location."

"So, what are we waiting for, then? Anyone up for a race?"

Again, Grace rolled her eyes at her friend.

"Anyone other than our grumpy friend here, up for a race?"

To Grace's surprise, Aderah nodded and looked Jamie challengingly in the eyes. "You're on."

Jamie was smirking at her and said, "Since I have a nice day, I'll give you a three-second head start."

She scoffed, probably a little insulted by his thinking she was in need of a head start, but gripped the reins of her horse to fall in place between Grace and Jamie.