- THIRTY-TWO!

[tw // brief references to substances]

silence is a funny thing.

it is either chosen or not, but when it's the latter, rarely do remedies exist to turn it into something voluntary. it's imprisoning, forcing you to submerge in it until what's on the other side breaks the cycle of endless, paining quiet. that's how the following week felt for nini.

after sending various pleading texts and voicemails to her boyfriend, she had to accept that silence was the only thing she'd get in return for a duration of time she couldn't predict. she was stuck, subservient to ricky's discretion, but it was deserved. she knew deep down that this was all deserved, but that's not the exterior she could front just yet. the remedies were absent, control surrendered.

until nini decided against this.

ricky, on the other hand, was holding out. he didn't want to accept the reality of the infidelity, the way it seemed to be genetic for him. but, he also thought if he didn't acknowledge it, the problem would go away. he was doing a hell of a good job at it, working himself to death back in los angeles and making time for his blond best friend only.

the last thing ricky wanted to do was tell margo what happened, partially because he didn't know how she would react, but more so because he didn't want her to be collateral damage. she was always the thing that was at the core of his and nini's relationship in the long run. if it weren't for her, there would be no "ricky and nini." margo didn't need the looming pain that maybe she went wrong connecting them two.

despite being unsure of what nini was sharing on the other end, ricky was planning to keep margo in the dark, and it was going well until it wasn't. margo was fixing ricky their second round of mint chocolate chip ice cream for the night to accompany their writing session–the two had been wanting to work on a song together for ricky's next album–when a knock on the door disrupted them. ricky barely heard it, him fixated on strumming his guitar while logging the lyric margo just came up with. he only lifted his head when he heard margo pulling the door open, and his pencil proceeded to fall from his grip.

"hey, nini girl," margo greeted the brunette that was now standing in ricky's doorway. nini was staring right over margo's shoulder at ricky, the curly-haired singer rising from the couch with a stiff jaw. "you look like hell, honestly."

ricky had to agree. nini wore an oversized hoodie of his, bags under her eyes reading stress and a lack of quality sleep. her messy bun was hidden under the sweatshirt's hood, and her softee shorts could barely be seen due to the large garment hanging just below her glass kneecaps. "margs," nini breathed out, wretched gaze still lingering on her boyfriend. "i didn't...uh, i didn't know you were here."

"all good," margo shrugged, holding her cup of refilled ice cream in her hands. she shoved a cold glob into her mouth, continuing to speak. "it looks like you could use some double dessert, too. come in!"

ricky stayed still as nini tip-toed past margo. he watched heatedly as nini limply stood in the space between the doorway and the living room, dividing himself and margo. with every look into her drooping eyes, another stab shattered ricky's heart. in the depths of it, ricky wanted to drop every grudge and forgive her. he wanted nini back in his arms so he could run his hands through her strawberry-scented waves, interlock his soft hands with hers, lay kisses across her lips. but, that need wasn't enough; his cool exterior prevailed.

the tension didn't go unnoticed, and ricky's fear began to come true the moment margo opened her mouth. "am i missing something, or are you two being really fucking weird?" the blond inquired with confusion.