- SEVENTEEN!

nini could've never expected to see jenn flying down the hallway towards her, the woman's blond curls bouncing and tan heels clicking across the tile. the singer began to panic, rubbing the heels of her palms anxiously under her eyes to wipe away any signs of tears that could expose her fresh error to her manager. she scrambled to stand, hands clawing at the wall for stability as jenn skidded to a stop before her.

"nini, what's happening?" the woman's brow knitted at the sight of her client in shambles just minutes before she was supposed to grace the stage. "some producers told me to find you."

the brunette girl's throat was dry, lips parting while she unsuccessfully tried to maintain calm. "i–it's just...," nini stammered, it being impossible to find the words. jenn was one of the very many people in nini's life who was completely in the dark over her familial situation. "someone just told me...i..."

"nini, spit it out, hon!" jenn's hands latched onto nini's shoulders. "you're on soon!"

jenn's slight hostility was startling nini, but the girl figured she couldn't expect anything less. after all, here she was, a nervous wreck outside the backstage doors over something jenn knew absolutely nothing about. if nini were her own manager, she probably would've reacted the same way.

however, before she could even attempt to mutter something, nini saw jenn's focus drift behind her. suddenly, jenn's eyes filled with rage as her grip broke from nini's body and she began to storm past her. "i'm going to need to you to leave, mr. bowen."

nini spun around at the sound of her ex boyfriend's last name, glossy eyes widening as she saw him in the flesh, attempting to carefully approach her. now, though, a livid jenn blocked his path. "did you do something to her?!" the woman shrieked, pointing a sharp index finger at the boy.

ricky's hands rose above his head defensively. "i don't mean any harm," his voice was small, comforting. "i was looking for the bathroom and i saw some crew members talking to nini. i just wanted to check on her t–"

"you need to leave," jenn seethed, hands on her hips. "you need to stay away from nini."

nini watched as ricky's eyes trailed from jenn to her, gaze latching onto her red scleras. "are you okay, nini?" he called out to her, raised arms slumping slightly.

nini didn't have time to respond before jenn took over once again. "mr. bowen, i'm asking you one more time," she ordered, stepping closer to him as if she would tie his hands behind his back and send him back into the crowd as a makeshift arrestee.

ricky's eyes still hurt, though. not for himself; nini knew that. for her. "nini, what's going on?" he pleaded, trying to step forward slowly as jenn matched his every move.

"ricky, you ne–"

"nini, are you alright?"

"that's it. i'm calling secur–"

"what happened to her, nini?!"

ricky's final call was enough to convince the borderline maniacal jenn to halt. he still had his hands up like a surrender. "did it happen again?!"

jenn's head twisted to look at nini, the girl still appearing small and weak. "what is he talking about, nini?" she asked sternly.

as she glanced timidly between her manager and her ex, nini swallowed a giant lump in her throat. as much as she despised the boy now, here he was. nini would never admit it, but ricky was the only person who could pull her off of the edge at that moment. so, in a leap of faith, she shut her eyes, soaked eyelashes mushing together. "yeah," she whispered once she opened them, attention on ricky rather than jenn as if she was talking solely to him. his posture shrunk after her answer.