- TWENTY-SIX!

"okay, i'm gonna go find the dough and sauce, you handle the cheese? i know you're picky with your cheese," devon strolled next to nini, pushing the cart down the snack aisle effortlessly. they had only been in whole foods for five minutes and they had already been stopped by two fans, so they figured the easiest and most efficient plan of action to prepare for their pizza night later would be to split up.

"yeah, cheese," nini repeated. "meet back at self check out?"

"sounds good," devon clapped his hands once they reached the end of the aisle. he shot nini a goofy grin. "ready, break!" he yelled, swerving the cart to his left and flying down the next aisle.

nini laughed to herself as she turned to bear a right. as she headed towards the dairy aisle, pondering over the possible cheese options she could choose from, she was pulled from her thoughts at the sound of her name. "nini?"

the girl froze in her tracks, peeking down the toiletries aisle to find ricky bowen standing there, no cart or basket in hand. he wore a forest green h&m crewneck that she used to beg him to get rid of as well as black jeans, a surprised look on his face to contrast the casual outfit. the funniest part of it all was that nini didn't even care that she was standing a few feet away from ricky – it was the fact that they were in public that terrified her.

nini did a double take before acknowledging her curly-headed ex. "ricky," she whispered through clenched teeth, dipping down the aisle herself. "hey, i–i don't think we should be talking, like...in public."

"i just wanted to say hello," ricky narrowed his eyes. he knew exactly where nini was coming from. he could see the headlines now if somehow a member of the paparazzi decided to pick up toilet paper this afternoon. but, it was like ricky never thought that much ahead anymore ever since he talked nini off a cliff at the vmas.

"yeah, hi," nini lowered her voice further, closing her eyes as she sighed. she felt guilty for wanting to shoo him off, especially after the kindness he had been showing her recently. "how are things?" she spit out, like doomsday was chasing her.

"things are good," ricky stuffed his hands in his pockets, glancing over nini's shoulder at people passing by. he jerked a thumb behind himself as he did so. "ran out of paper towels."

nini's eyes ran over the display of various paper towels on the shelves, hoping that would something make this situation less awkward. "how–how are you, though?" ricky asked, rocking back on his heels. "everything okay with...you know."

"i'm fine. it's all been fine," nini reassured. "thanks for asking."

"yeah, no problem," ricky pursed his lips together.

they stood there for just a few seconds longer, neither of them knowing what to do as their niceties lingered. "i–i should go," nini took a step backwards, but her body weight still seemed to push her forwards. "devon...he's, uh..."

"he's here," ricky finished the sentence, nodding once. "guess i better run, then."

for the first time since ricky had ever mentioned devon's hatred for him, nini felt a weird knot in her stomach. months ago she would have shot back with a cynical comment, but now it was like his words hurt her somehow. instead of trying to dwell on it, she folded her hands together. "nice to see you," she bid him adieu, realizing it had been a long time since she used the word "nice" in reference to ricky.

"you, too," he reciprocated softly.

they both spun around simultaneously, wondering if their bodies were irrationally sweating or if it was just the grocery store's heat.