Return

Stephanie's pov

It's been a few weeks since the party. I think I fit in pretty well here at the tower though I've been trying to avoid Bucky as much as possible. The most we have to contact is during meetings where he stares at me constantly, most of the time I'm up in my room, where I am now. You can also find me training with Wanda practicing my telekinesis or with Steve working out and learning hand-to-hand combat. When I arrived I stayed with Wanda in her room. It was nice but I'm glad to have my own space.

My room is the biggest out of the whole team. Before I came back Steve had the audacity to tell Tony that I play piano and sing. I know how to play old stuff from nineteen forty-three. It reminds me that I need to find new music.

"It is the future after all."

I think, chuckling to myself.

I found some piano music I like but there's only one song that's my favorite. It's called Love Story by an artist named Taylor Swift. I sit at my piano and get ready to play.

We were both young when I first saw you

I close my eyes and the flashback starts

I'm standin' there

On a balcony in summer air

See the lights, see the party, the ball gowns

See you make your way through the crowd

And say, "Hello"

Little did I know

That you were Romeo, you were throwin' pebbles

And my daddy said, "Stay away from Juliet"

And I was cryin' on the staircase

Beggin' you, "Please don't go, " and I said

Romeo, take me somewhere we can be-

I'm interrupted by a knock at the door. Without waiting for a response Steve steps into the room closing the door behind him.

"Sorry for the intrusion but I wanted to talk with you."

"About?"

I ask standing up from my seat and walking to my bed for a better place to have our conversation, he follows me sitting on my right.

"So I know how well you've fit in in the last few weeks but I've noticed you've been avoiding Bucky.

"That's not true I'm around him..."

I look down at my hands then back up at him.

"I don't think him staring at you and ignoring him during meetings is spending time with him, Stephanie.

"Have you ever thought maybe I don't want to, memories of him are different but now, when he doesn't remember me I can't take that Steve how can you of all say what I Should and shouldn't do!"

Anger burns inside me like a fire. Steve will never understand because Bucky remembered him, not me. Avoiding him is better than seeing the non-recognition in his eyes every time I look at him. To save myself I stay away.

"I und-."

"No you don't understand, no one does and they never will!"

He stands up with his eyes full of rage.

Steve's pov

"Well maybe if you never met us none of this would have happened I wish it had been you!"

she quickly stands up and backs away. Regret floods me as I watch her, the door flies open.

"Get out!"