Unconventional

Smiley Tawan's skin is glitter. Shimmer in the sun. His smile, chartreuse against the turquoise sea. His hair sticks up in spikes. New smooths a hand over the wet strands to flatten them. They jump back up. He laughs and tries again. It is inefficacious. Tawan's hair springs back up.

Laughter rumbles in this throat. He cannot remember ever being this happy. "What did you do to your hair, Tawan?"

One of his eyes is held shut. A safeguard against the bright sun. "I don't know," he titters.

New runs his fingers through the strands again. Catcalls from the beach reach them. Tawan's ears brighten. Rufous red. He looks down at the waves lapping their ankles.

"Why don't you just get married?" Gun yells. This impromptu trip to the beach is his idea.

"Just kiss him." Off Jumpol adds, chortling.

"Married, my ass." Tawan retorts. He turns redder.

"Shall we just get married?" New questions. His voice is for Tay's ears only. "They all want us to."

"Don't indulge them." Tawan wades further into the sea until the water laves his knees. Then he turns around. His fingers beckon. "Come here, what are you standing there for?"

New squelches through the waves to his side. "You're easily flustered. I wanted to give you some time to cool off."

"If you don't want me getting flustered, don't say things that will make me flustered. How would you feel if I suddenly asked you to marry me?"

He bites his lower lip, repressing a laugh. "I asked first just a couple of seconds ago. Of course, I would say yes."

"Gah!" Tawan splashes water in his face. "Shut up, Hin."

"Did you get that?" Off screams.

"Of course." Arm replies. "I recorded everything."

New blinks pelagic liquid from his eyes. He yanks his shirt over the band of his shorts. It would be a shame to expose his tattoo. "What, has no one ever asked you to marry them?"

"Has no one ever told you to shut up?" Tawan rejoins and splashes water into New's face again.

He laughs. "You have fans asking for your hand every day." He leans forward. Wet cotton shirt on Tawan's bare chest. "Don't you know I'm the number one chaoban?" He breathes. He knows what he is doing. He is aware of the effect it has on Tawan. "Am I not permitted to ask for your hand?"

Tawan's eyes are hooded. Wet lashes flatter against flushed cheeks. "What are you doing, Hin?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?" He challenges. A damp hand rises to his cheeks and shoves his face back. He tumbles backward into the water. A large wave rolls over and lifts him momentarily. It carries his laughter too. He is still high when the water settles.

"That's what you get." Tawan falls on his back next to him. They float in silence for a while. "When did we last do this together?"

New's eyes are closed. He ruminates on the last time he was on the beach with Tawan.

Sri Panwa, 2018. He was going to spend Valentine's Day by himself or with Singto as fans would prefer. He knew not to expect anything from Tawan. It was the official fanservice day and he would be busy with Gun.

However, on February 11th, Tawan came to him all smiles. His eyes were marigold at night. His kisses, hyacinth on New's acquiescent body. A getaway he suggested, from the noise and pressures of the city.