Damaged goods

Damage control.

The phrase is a shot to his heart. After their date night, Evil Tawan, the disrespectful coward, assigns Arm to deliver a message.

"He doesn't want to see you now." Arm reports. "I think it's best to lay low until things cool down."

"Why?"

"It's time for damage control. You know how it is. It's the best thing for his couple and yours."

"I don't care about my couple."

"He said you would say that. Just respect his wishes and don't go to him in public."

That was two weeks ago. He has stayed away from Tay not because he is doing some damage control but because he is upset. It annoys him that sharing a meal with his friend has been labeled as damage. Something that needs to be controlled.

During these two weeks, he has seen so much of Tay and Gun than he has in his entire life. It is talk shows after talk shows. Events after events. Anything to keep the ship afloat. While they float, he sinks into an abyss.

He is here through no fault of his. Thrown smack-dab in the middle of a conflict that no one will talk to him about. He hasn't a clue on how to return home. And his best friend hates him. The only damaged thing that should be controlled is his deteriorating mental health. And the widening cracks in his poor heart.

On Monday, he goes to the GMM building. He has a couple photoshoot with Singto for Maybelline. The elevator stops on the second floor and none other than Tay Tawan gets on.

Great, it is just what he needs.

His pulse accelerates. He drifts to the corner of the elevator and avoids the man's eyes. He might start crying if he looks at him. Ten more people can fit into the metal box but it feels too small with just the two of them. He keeps his eyes on the digital display of the floors, counting the numbers until the 30th floor. 26–27–28–29–

He hears Tay inhale and Exhale. "Thitipoom...,"

The elevator opens on the 30th floor. He flits out and bustles down the corridor without looking back. He dives into the room and closes the door behind him. Too fast and too loud. Five pairs of eyes turn towards the noise.

He falls back against the door, chest heaving, and breath shallow. He beams at his audience. Salaams in apology. "Let's begin."

**********************

Tay is in front of his condo when he gets home later that night. New stands far away and observes as he attempts to open the door with a key in his hand. He gives up after two minutes and grunts.

New shakes his head. He converges on Tay, shuffling his feet to announce his presence. The man looks up. He appears to be relieved but his ears are tinged red. Abashed.

He clears his throat, "Thitipoom."

"Tawan Vihokratana." He bulldozes Tay to the side and unlocks the door. "What do you want?" He breaches the front door and leaves it open.

Tay crosses the threshold and shuts the door behind him. "You changed your locks." He sounds galled by the fact.

New turns around. He crosses his arms. Tweaks his brows. "This is not my apartment. Thitipoom changed the locks before I came. I guess he knew you would try to break in."

"As if you've both not broken into my apartment more times than I can count. But did I change my lock combination? No."

He leans to the side, furls his lips. "Does this bother you? You've maligned New every chance you get. Yet, here you are, disgruntled that you don't have access to his home."