• 𝐂hapter 48

Start from the beginning

I smothered a groan of agony. "God, I'm so stupid. I shouldn't have gone to that stupid party in the first place. None of this would've happened if I didn't."

"Hey, hey. Don't say that." She reached for my hand. "This is not your fault and this baby was not a mistake. So don't ever say that." She gave me a tight squeeze. "And you're a total package. If Killian doesn't love you then he's a fool."

I released a weak laugh. "That's one way to cheer me up."

She smiled. "You're going to be fine, Hope, and you know what, I have an idea."

"I'm listening."

"I'm attending a get-together tonight, you should come with me, It'll be a good chance to get away from Killian and give him the space he needs."

I was a bit skeptical about this. I bit the inside of my cheeks."You think so?"

Lesley nodded. "Yes. I think it's a great idea."

Well, if Killian needed space to think, then I was just going to give it to him. It was worth a shot. "I'll go."

"You've been staring at your drink since we got in here

"You've been staring at your drink since we got in here." The sound of Brad's voice snapped me out of disoriented thoughts and back into the reality that I was at a bar.

I picked up my glass of whiskey and took a fortifying sip, trying to clear my head of all motions.

Hope loved me.

The words she'd spoken taunted me and my first instinct when I heard them was to shut off and pushed her away because I was fucking scared out of my mind. Things were going to change. The moment I said those words back to her, everything was going to change and I didn't know if I could stomach the idea that—

"If you miss your wife so much you can go home." Brad's voice interrupted me again and I groaned, resting my head on the counter.

What do I do?

I came to the bar tonight thinking unwinding a little would help me get my head straight and back in the game but I was still very much fucked up inside.

"Yo, what's got you somber?"

"You wouldn't understand," I mumbled, squeezing my eyes shut for a moment.

"Does it have to do with Hope?"

I raised my head and released a sigh. "It always has to do with her. Since she came into my life it's all been..." No adjective was good enough to describe the whiplash this woman had been giving me. My feelings were unstable. One moment I was hating on the world, the next I was looking at her and imagining a future. And now, she loved me.

"She's changed you for the better. I know that, I see it so you really should stop acting like you don't love her, and this living together and having sex thing could work."