ʂïx

"Hey, Jasmine?", I said, walking into the living room.

"Yes?", she said, rushing around, changing out of her work clothes and into formal ones.

"Can I...borrow something from your closet?"

She stopped, and looked at me, "Oh? Is it a special occasion?"

I laughed nervously, "um...Yeah. I'm going on a date. We're going to Royal 35 steakhouse".

"Oh, wow", she said, smiling approvingly, "he must be rich".

I smiled back, "he is".

"Well", she said, walking towards me, "if you want a formal dress, I have plenty. I have to go, but go put something on. As long as you bring it back, you can wear it".

I let out a sigh of relief, "oh, thank you so much".

She finished pinning her hair up and rushed towards the door, "no problem".

-----------------------------------

"Hey, I'm here", read a text from Jones.

I finished zipping up the back of a blue flowy cocktail dress and pinned my hair behind my ear.

Okay, Jay should be home from work now...

I left Jasmine and Jay's shared closet and walked out into the hallway.

Please, please, please. Don't make me send Jones home because I have to watch Clo for another hour...

"Where are you going dressed like that?", Jay said, walking in the front door as I walked into the living room.

"Um...", I scratched the back of my neck, "a birthday party".

"A birthday party?", he cocked an eyebrow, "in a cocktail dress?"

"Yeah. My friend booked a very high-class steakhouse".

He nodded, "hm. Interesting".

I rushed towards the door, feeling bad for making Jones wait.

"Hey, is that Jaz's dress?"

"Yeah, she let me borrow it", I opened the door, "anyways, gotta run. Bye".

---------------------------------

"Thank you", Jones said, looking up at the waiter who just poured us both glasses of Rose'.

The waiter smiled politely and walked away.

"So...", Jones said, "you live with the rich couple you babysit for?"

"Yeah", I said, taking a sip of the wine and cringing.

"That's interesting", he said sarcastically.

"Yeah, especially since-", I stopped myself.

Jones looked at me expectantly, "since what?"

"Nothing", I said, nervously gulping down some wine.

"Allison", he said slowly, "what happened?"

After I didn't respond, he laughed, "what, did you sleep with the husband or something?"

He slowly stopped laughing as I didn't respond, "did you?", he said, shocked.

I nodded, ashamed.

"Oh, shit", he said, taking a sip of wine.

"Well", I started, immediately trying to justify it, "I don't think he really loves her anymore, and-and he started it by grabbing my hand-"

"You don't have to justify", Jones said, "that's just...Surprising".

I looked down, "yeah, I guess".

"You know that could get messy, right? He could lose his property, his money, his reputation, get charged for adultery".

"I-I-", I fidgeted with my fingers, "I don't think it will come to that-it shouldn't. It was just one time".

"I'm sorry", Jones said after a moment, "I didn't mean to make you nervous. I just don't wanna see this blow up in your face".

I nodded and forced a smile, "I understand".

-------------------------------

"Allison, I had a wonderful time", Jones said, turning on the car.

"Me too", I said, smiling.

"Do you want to go back to my place, or...", he said hesitantly.

I bit my lip, "um...No, thanks. I'd like to just go back to the penthouse".

Jones cringed, "Okay".

--------------------

I walked into the penthouse, my head hurting a bit.

I wanna see Jay..., I thought subconsciously.

Luckily, he was right there on the couch when I walked in.

He looked up at me, looking upset.

"Hi", I said, ignoring the expression on his face.

Although I did take note of the fact that he was sitting in the dark-no tv, the only light coming from the stove hood-for God knows how long.

"Hey", he said quietly.

I stopped and thought for a moment, "should I...sleep on the couch?"

He nodded slowly, "sure".

As I passed him and walked into the kitchen, I felt uncomfortable.

"Hey, who's birthday party were you at?", he called from his spot on the couch.

What? I wasn't at a birthday party..., I thought, confused, Oh..., then I remembered.

"My friend...", I thought for a moment, drinking some water to buy me time to think, "Emma".

He nodded, "cool. How was it?", he said, standing up.

"It was...Great", I said, smiling, remembering the date.

"You're quite a beautiful woman, Allison", Jones said, "it's a shame that I had to ruin things by letting you go".

"Was there...", he started, "anyone named Jones there?"

My mind went blank, "nope", I quickly said, putting the water back in the fridge.

I swiftly avoided Jay putting his hands on my hips and walked over to the couch, plopping down on it.

Jay pursed his lips and looked down at the floor.

"I'm gonna go to bed", I said.

He nodded slowly, putting his hands in his pockets, "okay. Goodnight".

He walked down the hallway and disappeared into his room.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding in and pulled out my phone. I deleted my mean review of the law firm and left a positive one instead.

"It was a pleasure to work at this firm. Everyone was so nice, especially Jones. He's such a lovely person, and a pleasure to work with. If you're applying to this firm, don't be nervous and be yourself. Everyone will welcome you with open arms and make you feel right at home".