Chapter 2: A New Family

Start from the beginning

Ezih smiled. "I have a treat that might make you change your mind." He took her hand and looked at Iroh. "Admiral Jeong Jeong's been asking about you."

"I'll deal with the Admiral."

Ezih led Chiara away while Iroh dealt with military business.

Soon they boarded the ship and left for the Fire Nation. Ezih kept Chiara by his side as he served Iroh, and he began teaching her the customs, manners, and gestures of the Fire Nation. When he was not busy, he took her on deck where she marveled at being completely surrounded by the endless ocean on such a large vessel and with no land in sight. Ezih followed her as she walked the deck of the ship staring out over the sea from every side. Getting permission to take her onto the upper deck, he softly chuckled to himself enjoying her childlike wonder as she gazed out at the view.

Every evening, however, when she lay in bed, she quietly cried to herself knowing she would never see her mother or father again or any of her people from her village. Her inability to save her mother troubled her deeply, and the images of her bleeding body haunted her dreams.

Late on the third evening of their voyage, Ezih went to Iroh's cabin where he was sitting at his desk.

"General Iroh," he greeted him with a bow.

"Come in, Ezih," he said looking up from the paperwork in front of him. "How is young Chiara doing?"

"She's quite quiet, General. I don't believe she's spoken a word."

"She'll need time to adjust." He lay the document in his hand on his desk and leaned back in his chair.

"She seems troubled in her sleep," said Ezih. "At times I've checked on her in the evening, and she's been quite restless in her bed."

Iroh looked down and gently nodded. "The poor thing's seen violence that probably plagues her dreams."

"Do you think it wise to bring her back with us?"

Iroh momentarily contemplated the question.

"I would not have done so if I thought otherwise," he said thoughtfully. "And I've given my father fair warning of my little guest. I doubt he'll think much of it."

--------------------------------------

Arriving at the First Lord's Harbor, Iroh disembarked with Ezih and Chiara. Leaving Ezih to take care of business, Iroh took Chiara with him in the palanquin which carried them to his estate in Royal Caldera City where he was welcomed home by his son Lu Ten.

"Dad," he said embracing his father. "How was your mission?"

"Full of many boring meetings," answered Iroh a bit stiffly.

"You don't sound pleased."

"I encountered a great failure on my return," he said sadly. "Many lives were lost."

"I'm sorry, Father." His amber eyes, very much like his father's, peered around Iroh to see Chiara practically hiding behind him. "Who's she?"

"She lost her family," said Iroh softly to Lu Ten as he beckoned her. "This is Chiara." He knelt down next to her. "Chiara, this is my son LuTen."

She bowed towards him in the proper Fire Nation greeting that Ezih taught her. Lu Ten smiled and he bowed back.

"Welcome, Chiara,"he said, his long, dark ponytail falling forward with his bow.

"She'll be staying with us," said Iroh.

Lu Ten's eyes suddenly became glued to hers, and he was looking deeply into them. "I've never seen eyes that color."