Birthday

But-

Not but! You know very well that it didn't work out between us. It never has and it never will, so why should we torture ourselves?

Are you serious?

Her voice was low and slightly shaky.

Deep down in your heart you know this is the best way to go and that all of this wasn't real.

Her eyes would get a little watery, but no tears came.

That means you- we go separate ways now?

It's better this way.

He picked up his suitcase and headed for the door.

But- my birthday?

I'm sorry! I wish you all the best. Everything will be fine and you don't have to worry. You know how good and wonderful you are, it's just not us. I was never the one and you know it. You showed me so often. You don't need to hide it anymore. Be happy!

The door closed behind him and she was still standing in the same spot, a little overwhelmed. He had left her on the morning of her birthday. A day almost couldn't start worse, but even though she was sad and disappointed, she didn't have to cry. He was right with what he had said.
Still a little shocked, she tried to get ready. In less than half an hour her friends would come and throw a party together with her.

That's exactly what happened. Sarah, Freddie, Kim, Brian, Bobby, Tim, ... all from the House of Gaga and her best friends came to celebrate with her. The news of the breakup had quickly made the round and everyone knew about it but avoided the topic. Delicious typical Italian food was served and loud music was played. It was a real party and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, you could barely hear the doorbell ring.
She went over and opened it.

Hey-

She faltered and the words got lost in her mouth.

Hi you.

Bradley? What are you doing here?

He was standing right outside her door with the biggest smile on his face. His blue eyes sparkled at the sight of her and he held out a gift bag to her.

Happy Birthday Stef!

She took the bag and was touched by the gesture.

Thank you. That's lovely!

He nodded once before his gaze moved past her, to the party behind her.

You seem to be celebrating?

Yeah, um- come in. Everybody's going to be happy to see you again.

I don't know, we-

Come on, it's my birthday.

She reached out and, more or less, pulled him with her. Immediately he was greeted and warmly welcomed by everyone. It was like coming home. They had all once been so close, but times had changed and separated him and the others. At the time, this separation was not intentional, but intentional nonetheless. They had distanced themselves for protection, creating a separation so that no one would even be tempted.

Although he was in a conversation with his old buddies Brian and Mark, after a while he noticed her walking outside. Quickly he tried to end the conversation and follow her.
She had lit a cigarette and was letting it blow more in the wind instead of smoking it.

Hey, is everything okay with you?

She turned around and he noticed she was a little drunk.

I couldn't be better.