Chapter Twenty Four

The following week follows a similar pattern. I help Sylvie and the children around the house while Gale sleeps in and regains his strength, which I eagerly test when it turns to night. Just when I thought Gale and I couldn't possibly be any closer, or learn more about the other, we discover our bodies.

I'm careful about where I put my hands so I don't aggravate any of his wounds and he's cautious about where he puts his as we start, forcing himself not to go too far, which I like though I can't help but wish that sometime his reach would go a little bit farther.

"Gale," I say between kisses, "should we talk about this?"

"What's there left to talk about?" he breathes. Clearly, his lips would rather be doing something other than talking. His voice is heavy and heady and I realize he's probably not really listening. And as much as I enjoy what we're doing, there's a part of me that's nervous about where this all is going.

"You remember I said I'm not sure about some things..."

"Yes, Katniss, and it's okay," He caresses my cheek softly as he says this, trying to reassure me. "I'm uncertain about some things too. I don't expect-"

I cut him off because I don't think we're talking about the same thing. "I'm not ready to have sex with you."

His mouth hangs open for a second, surprised. And then he laughs. "I know, Katniss."

"You do?"

He chuckles. "I mean, considering how long it took you figure out you wanted to kiss me-" I laugh and lean in to kiss him. He's always able to make me feel at ease. I can't even remember what I was nervous about. "I'm never going to pressure you to do anything you don't want to. You just tell me what you like, what you want and when you're ready." I nod as he rubs my back reassuringly. "And try not to wait until I almost die again to figure out how you feel about me, okay?"

"Ha, I'll try. We should probably talk about this more, shouldn't we?"

"Probably," he agrees. I take a deep breath and begin thinking about what I want to say. "But let's do that tomorrow," he says playfully, catching me off guard and pulling me up on his chest to kiss me again.

I'm a bit surprised when I realize I'm sad to leave Sylvie and the kids. Their small faces surround us, begging us not to go.

"But why do you have to leave?" Trek, the most upset by our departure, pleads.

"Because we have some very important things to do," Gale tells him, crouching down to his level and tapping his nose.

Trek only frowns. "But why?"

Gale squeezes his shoulders affectionately. "Because we've got to go make the world a better place."

And I was going to say we had to go kill people and start a war.

"Now, now, it'll be okay," Sylvie assures her children, pulling the smallest ones close to her. "And anyway, we've got to clean up and make room, your father will be home soon." The smallest look up at her, somewhat reassured. "Now remember," Sylvie speaks to us now, "it'll take you about three days to get to Topaz and Boon's," she's already told me all about our next hosts who are actually related to her husband. "They'll be happy to see you. And please remember to give them that letter I gave you." There's an urgency in her voice both Gale and I pick up on, as this is the third time she's reminded us. When we asked about it before, she didn't elaborate, so we let it go.

"It could be a family matter," Gale suggested. I nodded uncomfortably.

"You should have more than enough supplies..." She continue, and both Gale and I nod and thank her profusely as we gather all our things. We say goodbye to the children a few more times, and finally, start to walk away, waving.