Chapter Eight

I walk to the door. For some reason, it is very important that I keep myself composed. I can hardly stop the tears from streaming down my cheeks. I close it behind me and look for an exit. I desperately run, trying to open a few doors. I know I only have a few moments before Peeta will decide to follow me. And I can't face him. Not right now.

Finally, I throw open the door to a bathroom and collapse to the floor. I sit next to the toilet afraid I might throw up. I try to keep quiet, but I feel like I am choking for air. Thoughts race through my mind. Anger. Fear. Hate. How could he do that to me? After what happened with that man. And Prim. How could he do that to me? How could he…How…I sob.

I can hear the noise from the party below. The happy chatter, joyous laughs. It seems like something from another planet. I need to get out. I know it will be impossible for me to make it out the front door unseen, so I throw open the window and jump below. Not a smart idea when wearing heels, I realize. I stumbled a bit, twisting my ankle, but the pain is not enough to stop me. I start to run…like a mad woman, to the only place I felt safe: the woods.

I have no plan; I just know I need to get away. I am determined to run until I feel nothing. I tear my dress as I crawl through the fence. I cry and kick at it like it is an attacker. Thorny bushes slice my skin and I'm not even sure I realize. All I know is that I need to keep running. I see a vague light to my left and hear a voice. I panic; certain it is going to hurt me. I turn, sprinting in the opposite direction.

I don't know how long I go before I trip and fall. I try to get up, but my dress is caught. The light is getting closer to me. I tear at the fabric, desperate to get away before it reaches me. I free myself, but as I tried to run, I collapse. I am not aware I am in any pain, but for some reason, my legs refuse to work. I struggle to get up again when someone touches me.

"No!" I scream. The light is in my eyes, blinding me. I can't see who is there, but I can hear him talking. I don't understand his words though. He tries to touch me again, and I again scream.

I howl and fight. I try to claw my attacker and throw some stones at him. "Leave me alone! No!" but I am too tired to keep fighting. He grabs me and pulls me up off the forest floor. I struggle, clawing at his face, but pins my arms and is much stronger.

"Please…Don't hurt me." I sob still squirming.

He tries talking to me again, but I don't register any of his words. Now that I am standing again, I kick the man and break free. I am about to run when I heard my name.

"Katniss." The sound of my name slowly triggers my brain to work. "Katniss," I hear him say again.

I turn and look back. In the dim light, I make out the familiar features of Gale Hawthorne.

"Gale?" I don't believe it is him.

"What the hell, Catnip?" He picks up his light and moves closer to me. It is then he must see the state I am in. As the light hits me, he freezes. I see his eyes searching. They look shocked and I don't understand why.

"Gale?" I repeat.

"Oh my god, Katniss, what happened?"

My brain finally realizes it is him and I rush into his arms. I bury my face in his chest and start to cry. He tries to return my hug, but I scream. "Don't touch me!" He throws his hands up, as if surrendering, uncertain what to do. To Gale's credit, he kept them up for minutes as I sobbed uncontrollably into his shirt.

Finally, I collapse and he has to reach down to catch me. We sink to the ground together, and he pulls me on to his lap, cradling me as I continue to cry.

I don't remember when I stopped, but I am suddenly aware I am covered in Gale's jacket and can hear his heart beating in his chest.

"What are you doing out in the woods this late at night?" I ask him.