Something idkendjeksms

Start from the beginning

It occurred to Karkat that Dave hadn't learned about Yiffy yet. Jade only ever let news of it slip after he had supposedly died. Still, it was Jade and Rose's news to share.

DAVE: i was just checking
KARKAT: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT
DAVE: it has only been like a week right
DAVE: did i miss anything?
KARKAT: MORE FIGHTING. MORE VIOLENCE. BASICALLY NOTHING YOU WOULDN'T EXPECT FROM A FUCKING WAR.
KARKAT: OH WAIT, VRISKA IS BACK. LIKE OUR VRISKA. THERE IS FUCKING TWO OF THEM NOW. OH AND SHE KILLED GAMZEE.
DAVE: oh snap
DAVE: thats wild
KARKAT: YEAH, NO SHIT. WAR TENDS TO BE THAT WAY.

Despite his cruel tone, he was thankful to talk to Dave. It was the first time in a long time he could do that. He yearned for the time it was just the two of them. Both of them did. There was around an hour or so of time before the others got there, so Dave and Karkat could spend more time together. For a while, they just talked. They talked about rom-coms and memes and whatever else they talked about like twenty years ago.

DAVE: hey bro
DAVE: im glad you were the one i found
DAVE: and that we could like talk for a while because i missed that
KARKAT: I MISSED THAT TOO... I DIDN'T REALIZE HOW MUCH I DID. IT'S LIKE A SHITTY LOVE SONG ON ONLY MISSING THINGS WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE THEM AS AN OPTION ANYMORE.
DAVE: it is just like some shitty love song
DAVE: but also its still an option
DAVE: i mean like im still alive that is
DAVE: by some deus ex machina that we are probably not going to get an explanation on
KARKAT: I GUESS SO. THEN WHAT DOES IT MEAN IF I TAKE THAT OPTION?
DAVE: we somehow find time to chill around a major war
KARKAT: WHEN THIS IS OVER- *IF* THIS IS OVER, CAN THINGS GO BACK TO THE WAY THEY WERE?
DAVE: id like nothing more them that
KARKAT: SHIT IS THAT- THEY ARE HERE
DAVE: cool do i need to jump in the cake or something

After seeing a text message on his phone, Karkat prepared to let Jade and Rose in. Kanaya had stayed behind to focus on there arrangements.

Jade ran in, open arms to Dave who stood still and sturdy. Behind her, Rose and Karkat spoke silently as they walked in.

KARKAT: I DIDN'T TELL HIM. YOU TWO HAVE TO DEAL WITH THAT
ROSE: That's fine. It wasn't your place to do so anyways. I'm still relived he is alive.
KARKAT: NO SHIT. THINGS HERE JUST HAPPEN ALL THE TIME AND THEY NEVER MAKE SENSE.
ROSE: I can relate to you there. Its confusing to say the least.
KARKAT: BUT I'M HAPPY FOR JADE. AND YOU.
ROSE: Aren't you happy for yourself?
KARKAT: WHAT?
ROSE: Weren't the two of you best friends
KARKAT: DAVE'S BEST FRIEND IS JOHN AND MY BEST FRIEND- WELL- THAT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER
ROSE: It was Sollux last time we talked.
KARKAT: IT CHANGES ALOT. WHATEVER
ROSE: Why don't you talk to him more? He could be helpful.
KARKAT: DO YOU THINK I HAVE TIME TO REUNITE WITH OLD FRIENDS? WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A WAR. PLUS IF YOU FAILED TO NOTICE, HE IS FUCKING BLIND NOW.
ROSE: That doesn't stop him from being helpful to us.

Jade's embrace was tight, and her tail wagged like never before.

JADE: DAVE! :B i'm so so happy you're back!
DAVE: yeah i missed you
JADE: i missed you too! i thought I'd never see you again!

Of course Dave would have missed her if there was any more then a few hours between there last meeting from his perspective. He softly scratched behind her ears as she showered him in kisses.

JADE: i'm not sure what happened but you're ok, right?
DAVE: better then ever
JADE: Thats good to hear.

His responses were dry as internally he delt with the debate brought up in his mind every time he was with her. Did he love her? Was this what love was like or was she just a friend he had convinced himself to love? And just like every other time, he had the same answer. He was in too deep now. This was his wife. He couldn't end things, so he just had to live with them
Maybe he could find happiness in the idea of some doomed timeline where him and Karkat could find happiness with one another instead of getting stuck in this eternal waiting room.