xiv. 𝐈 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐟 𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝

"Oh, shit, they found the truck

"Oh, shit, they found the truck." Kie panicked as the six drove back the way they came. After heading to the church, they found the cross gone with two people in mind of who had it.

"Just relax. Relax." John B spoke quickly back at her.

"Well, lookee here." Shoupe spoke as he walked over. Skyler shoved Kie down some to try and shield her.

"Good evening officer." John B commented.

"Sheriff." Shoupe corrected.

"Sheriff. That's right." John B nodded.

"Skyler, your moms been worried about you." Shoupe looked at the girl in the back. "She know what kind of friends you've got?"

Skyler gave a fake smile. "And proud."

"I pulled the tags and I know who's truck that is." Shoupe said sternly as he looked around the van, shining his light in the back to find Kie on the floor board, "Hey! Kie, you drop your weed pen back there?"

"Found it." Kie nodded as she got up.

"Sheriff, I just wanted to say that this is all my fault." Pope spoke up, trying to take the blame, "She had nothing to do with this. I take 100% responsibility."

"Nothing to do with it?" Shoupe questioning in a tone of disbelief, "You wanna try that again? Your parents reported the truck missing four hours ago, and the keys were missing from the house. I'm taking you home."

Kie frowned, looking to Skyler. "Can I call you?"

"No, she's coming too. Both of you." he encouraged with a knowing look. "Now."

"I'll see you soon." Sarah hugged Skyler, Kie getting out first as Skyler followed her toward the cop car. As they two for in the back, they grabbed hands.

Skyler didn't stick around at home long, disappearing into her shed before heading down the street. She knew Kie didn't live too far, she could remember meeting Sarah at her house freshman year a few times. She also knew that if she wasn't there, she'd be at The Wreck. Only, she really took her chances when tossing rocks at the window that had a light shining through.

"Sky." Kie smiled as she looked out of the window. "You're here?"

"Need some company?" she smiled up at her, holding the surf board up. "Brought you something."

Kie grinned, nodding her head as she looked to the tree. "Think you can climb?"

"Yeah." she answered, holding the surf board and heading up the tree. It wasn't too sturdy, and Sky wasn't feeling necessary confident. She tossed the surf board onto the balcony, grabbing Kie's out reached hand. Swinging her legs over, Kie grabbed her waist to help her down. "Woah, easy peasy."

"What are you doing here?" she smiled, shaking her head as she held her waist.

"Didn't want to leave you all alone." she said with a shy smile. "It's a psychology fact that loneliness makes you feel colder, because of the lack of body heat around you. I don't know, I figured you didn't like to be cold."