vi. 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐬?

"Hey

"Hey." Kie walked over to the hammocks. "What are you doing?"

"Saw John B and Sarah having a little trouble in paradise and stole the hammock as soon as they left." Skyler gave a small snort, moving her feet. "Wanna get in?"

Kie got in on the opposite side, her legs by Skylers head with an exhale. The girl laughed slightly. "Uh, oh. What's that for?"

"Pope." she admitted with a shake of her head. "I wanted to let him down easy but I don't think I did."

"You and Pope?" she gave a questionable look. "I didn't know that was a real thing."

"It's not, maybe I just was trying to force it to be." Kie explained with a shake of her head. "I don't know, it just didn't feel right."

"How come?" she hummed in response, moving her feet so they didn't dig into Kie's armpit if she moved.

"I don't know." she admitted in return. "It was a perfect setting, really. And, Pope is perfect, he's fantastic. And the beach, and it was all just perfect."

Skyler rose her eyebrows. "Except it wasn't?"

"Except it wasn't." Kie agreed with an exhale. "He said he understood for our friendships sake, but, I don't know. It felt a little off."

"He's Pope, though." Sky pointed out. "Maybe it hurt him, but he's not gonna hold it against you forever. Either way, like you said, you guys have been friends for years. No one's gonna throw that long of a friendship away because of an inconvenience on a beach."

Kie gave a grin. "Thanks for getting it. Again."

"Told you." Skyler pointed at her head. "Oxytocin."

Kie gave a small snort, being cut off by JJ running their way. "Guys, we gotta go!"

"What happened!" they called on sync.

"Something happened to Popes dad, we gotta go!" he encouraged, the pair getting out of the hammock together.

"Let me know if i'm hurting you." Sarah spoke as she bandaged up Hayward's bruises and cut face.

"You're doing just fine." he gave a small groan. "Thank you, darlin."

"Pop, what happened?" Pope leaned on his level.

"Oh, I should've known better." Hayward shook his head. "He came in just as I was about to lock up. Caught me by surprise. Once he had me down, he put his knee in my chest, and he asked me about that-that-that key from that-that drawing you showed me. And in case you're wondering, I ain't tell him nothing. Now, did you track it down?"

Pope pulled the key from his pocket, showing it to his dad. "I found it in Mee-maws old apartment above the pharmacy just like you said."

"Shit, boy, you should've gave this to me. I wouldn't have had to take a beating." Hayward looked his way with a shake of his head. "What's the big deal? It ain't worth anything. Why they want it so bad?"