8. Phone number

The next couple of days go by quickly. It's Friday and as usual, Aomine is waiting for her, this time with an energy bar which she accepts without comments.

"Thanks."

"Whatever."

"Hey!! Satori!! Wait!" Kise shouts while jogging towards them. "Are you guys going to that training?"

"Yeah." Aomine answers suspiciously. "What's it to you?"

"Just thought I'd join."

"The study has already started so I doubt you can." Aomine says coldly.

"I mean you can ask Jordan. I'll give you his phone number." Satori adds.

"Can I... can I have your phone number too?" He asks smiling kindly, shocking her as she stands there her phone in hand.

No escape here. Can't say she forgot her phone or doesn't remember her digits. Instinctively, she looks at Aomine who is look int away, visibly uninterested.

"I mean... sure." She reluctantly agrees.

Feeling cornered, she doesn't feel that she can refuse and, after passing on Jordan's and her number, he asks.

"Are you gonna try to come on Saturday?"

Aomine starts to leave and all she wants to do is to follow him, shuffling slowly away.

"I'm not sure. As I said, I am meeting up friends."

"Bring them along! It's my place. It'll be fun come on!"

"We'll see."

"I'll text you the address."

"Okay. See you."

"See you tomorrow."

Jogging shortly, she catches up with her training partner.

"Are you okay?" She asks worried that she may have offended him somehow. Maybe Kise is at fault.

"Yes why?"

"I don't know you look annoyed."

"I'm not. That's my normal expression."

With that tone of voice, he definitely sounds pissed.

"Are you going to the party?"

"No. I have plans."

"Oh? What kind of plans?"

He stares down at her with a questioning look.

"Why do you need to know?"

"Sorry, I was just making conversation."

"You don't need to."

And then silence until they reach the building. But that silent felt heavy not the usual comforting type.

During the work out, she furtively looks at him occasionally, wondering what his deal is. He's nice then cold. He looks out for her then walks away straight after.

It's as if he wanted to be friends without being friendly but she's seen him on the court and he is friendly with his teammates, even with Kise. So why is he that cold with her? Maybe he is cautious as he doesn't really know her but...

Unknowingly, he does the same as her at different times, not realising they are playing the same game. Why is she so difficult to read? She gets upset about being a girl when limit assaulted and five minutes later, she's all smiles. She passes out from exhaustion and soon after she is back to her old self as if it didn't affect her. She's friendly and then rushes away from him for no apparent reason. Her mood swings and unpredictable behaviour is difficult for him to grasp and annoying. But he can't help but being intrigued by it all. She doesn't seem to be doing it on purpose or in an aim to confuse him, that's the infuriating part.

After training, they stretch and pick up their things before walking back home.

"You didn't have a shower?" She asks.

"I prefer my shower."

"Oh? Better pressure?"

"Less pervs."

She blushes wondering if he's referring to her. She did feel like a perv, she won't lie but did he know? And how? It's not like she spied on him though or tried to see anything. And it's his fault for making that kind of exciting sounds as he showers.

"I... how do you know there are pervs?" She asks testing the terrain.

"I don't. I was just joking."

"Hahahahahahahaha!!"

The excessive laugh, that she was hoping would hide her embarrassment, just seems out of place and he now stares at her, confused.

"It wasn't that funny."

"Yeah, sorry. I must be a bit tired." She chuckles.

"Right..."

The day is lovely, the sky mostly clear with sparse cloud dancing around. The walk to her place feels nice, especially walking alongside him. The earlier tension has dissipated and this feels normal.

"That's me! Have a nice weekend!"

"Are you not going to Kise's party?" He asks.

Does that mean he's going? She thought he had something planned that was none of her business.

"I'm not sure. Depends on my friends." He nods, brushing gravel on the ground, his hands in his pockets.

"Well, see you around."

And with that he disappears slowly.

Back in her apartment, she has a shower, some home cooked food and she relaxes in front of her anime.

On his walk home, he wonders if he's showing too much interest, if she brings something in him that he's not used to and if it's a bad thing.

She's tall and athletic but there's something cute about her, something cheerful that makes him smile. She's not like the other girls, the groupies, the needy bunch. She's probably not interested which is why she seems so comfortable and natural around him. She's not wearing makeup. She doesn't need it to look attractive. Yes, she's attractive. Everyone can see that. Quirky too with her hair cut. It suits her personality.

He can make objective observations without being into her, can't he?

He can think what he wants about her and, somehow, he still hopes she'll show up to Kise's party.