tape 6, side b

*・゚:*・゚

°•. Delicate.•°
˚ that meteor strike, act one

•°✧ ˚ ━ that meteor strike, act one

CHAPTER TWELVE — tape 6, side b

Now

I wake up on the floor, surrounded by pillows and with one of Kenzie's feet pressing against my throat. I shove it off of me and sit up. I assess the damage we did on Mack's living room and smile at the state of everyone, before rising to my feet. I remove my phone from the charger and wrap a blanket tightly around my body, before exiting the house and sitting on the front steps once more. I unlock my phone and notice several texts from multiple people; Zach is the most prominent one. I click on Justin's contact and call him.

Where the hell have you been?

I told you. Mack's. And I think I know what you got up to last night. Jess showed up. You finally told her?

Yeah and not in the way I should have. How's she doing?

She's asleep. Probably that last decent night's sleep she'll be getting for a while. But she'll be okay. Eventually.

Zach got subpoenaed to testify. So did I.

Well, I probably did too, but I'm not home, so we'll find out later. Look, J, did you need something? Cause if not I-

I need to see you. Please.

Let me get home. I'll call you. Just don't do anything stupid, okay?

Yeah, yeah. I love you.

I love you too, J. Bye.

I hang up the phone and wrap my arms around my knees, resting my head on top of them. I rest there a moment, before lifting myself up and heading back inside. I start picking up what I can, waking up Sage in the process, and forcing her to help me. It doesn't take the two of us that much longer to clean up and by the time we're done, everyone's up. I drop Sage and Jess at their houses and on the way home, the conversation is bleak. "Hey, so Zach told me he got subpoenaed. Do you think that you got one too?"

"Probably." I state, absentmindedly tapping my fingers on the steering wheel. "I'm not worried. I didn't do anything. I'm only going to be able to help the Baker's case against the school. Which I will do happily." I smile over at my sister and she returns the gesture. We spend the short remainder of the ride in silence; only the quiet sound of the radio can be heard. As I pull into the driveway, I notice the garage door is open, and I know damn well that I closed it before we left. Putting the car in park, the two of us hop out, and walk cautiously through the open garage and into the house. I make sure to grab the bat from the corner behind the door and hold it in a ready position, checking every corner, before turning it. Just as I'm ready to let my guard down, a noise comes from the kitchen, causing Abbie, who is clutching my shoulder as though her life depends on it, to jump. I kick open the door and swing at the figure in my sights, but they dodge it.