Error 1440

Like everyone on Earth, the day started with the buzz of an alarm clock, but unlike everyone on Earth, Chris's day started thousands of miles away from Earth. Of course, Chris loved the job; not everyone has the opportunity to be the Commander of a spacecraft rocketing toward Mars, one hundred years after the Apollo Moon Missions.

Chris didn't know what to say when the first human feet were placed on Mars. Chris had recited Neal Armstrong's famous words, hoping they would inspire an excellent quote for future generations. A strange feeling in the pit of Chris's stomach bounced between the excitement of the mission and the terror of failure.

    "All right, time to face the day." Chris unzipped the sleeping bag strapped to the top bunk and sat up.
**
Chris went down the narrow tube-like corridor to the cockpit. Although artificial gravity technology has advanced significantly in the past few decades, it was not enough to mimic Earth's gravity completely. According to the researchers, it would reduce the adverse health effects astronauts face in the early days of space flight by 72.97%. Chris would have preferred at least 85%, but what other choice was there? 72.97% to be the first human on Mars...as Chris's grandma would say, "You bet your last dollar I'd risk it."

The Atlas crew of six covered three eight-hour shifts. The first shift belonged to Chris and Phoenix Adams, the Flight Engineer. They relieved Quinn Tram, the geologist, and Sid Garcia, the pilot, who headed off to their quarters for some much-needed sleep.

"Good morning, Commander," said Adams. Chris slipped into the captain's chair with a pouch of black coffee and checked the monitors. Atlas had been equipped with a dozen specially designed external cameras, bolted in a glass-enclosed niche. In all of its glory, Mars filled the bulk of the cockpit window.

"Amazing, isn't it? We'll be kicking back on Mars in twenty-four Earth hours, enjoying a cold one," said Adams.

"Don't get too excited. It's not a vacation," Chris laughed.

"Come on, we deserve a break."

A beeping noise pierced the air as the emergency indicator light flashed red. An error message flashed on the monitor.

ERROR: 1440   

"What's error 1440?" asked Adams.

"I don't know," said Chris in an even tone. It wouldn't do any good to have the Commander panic. Adams typed the error code into the computer, within a fraction of a second, the computer responded.

No results for the error: 1440. Chris and Adams exchanged looks.

"Run a full diagnostic."

"Yes, Commander." Adams typed on the keyboard.

A short while later, the computer beeped. The results were negative. Chris pushed the button to contact Mission Control.

"Atlas to Mission Control, Atlas to mission control, we've received an error code 1440. All diagnostics came back negative; please advise. Over." It would have taken about twenty minutes for a message from Mars to get to Earth in the old days, but today it would only take ten.
**
Chris checked the clock on the monitor. Adams shifted in the chair while Chris focused on breathing.

     "Mission....Mission Control to Atlas, no such..." The radio crackled. Chris and Adams struggled to understand the garbled message.

"Adams, clean up that transmission."

"On it, Boss." Adams typed forcefully into the computer.

"...no such known error code exists, we advise..." The message ended.

"I'm sorry, Commander, there's too much interference," said Adams. Chris paused and slowly drew in a deep and steady breath.

"Atlas to Mission Control, Atlas to Mission Control come again. The transmission cut out. Error 1440 persists. Please advise. Over." Chris released the button to contact Mission Control.