chapter 7

Jayce

One of the announcers said, "It's getting close to draft day."

"The best players in the state, Maya Wilson, Jayce Green, and Jazz McCabe are again leading their team into the playoffs. Will Cal State still have a championship when they leave?"

The expectations are high because it's senior night and the draft is coming soon. Jordan and Kayla made it official, that was what Kayla said. But I decided not to dwell on it because I needed to concentrate on getting ready for the draft and staying healthy. I couldn't let a little crush get in the way.

"We have a special person here tonight," The announcers said. "We have an NBA champion in our game tonight, Jordan Poole!"

He gives a smile and a wave to everyone and goes back to talking to his two friends.

"Alright, everyone let's be aggressive but don't forget to have fun. Let's give it up to our seniors." Coach Moore said as our teammates clapped for us.

Kayla approaches Jordan and occupies his lap. "He seems mad uncomfortable," Maya remarked. 

I laughed.

"Family on three, 1, 2, 3 FAMILY!"

Game time.

Maya starts the jump ball.

SCORE - HOME: 98: 100 - GUEST

We were behind.

We had ten seconds left when Avery was fouled, making the ball ours. With six seconds remaining, she passes the ball to Jazz before passing it to me. I did an in and out and step back and hit a three.

Wet.

"IRISH SPRING GREEN!"

"CAL STATE KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A COMEBACK ON SENIOR NIGHT." the announcers said.

It felt great. The crowd was happy. I wish she could see this now.

The assistant coach yelled, "LET'S FAWKING GO JAY, YOU A BIG DOG REMEMBER THAT!"

"NAH JAY, WE HAVE TO GO TO APPLEBEES, 29 POINTS?" Jazz stated.

While everyone else was heading to the locker room, I sat on the bleachers.

He approached me.

"That was some heat right there." He complimented.

"Thanks," I replied quietly.

"I'm positive you saw my highlights because that in and out is definitely my move," Jordan said proudly.

I lied, saying, "What, no I didn't."

"So, what is the pretty girl who just scored 29 points doing here by herself?"

He just called me pretty? No way, the butterflies in my stomach are throwing a disco party.

"I-"

"BAEEE, HURRY WE ARE LEAVING SOON," Kayla said cutting me off

"My fault." He said getting up

"You don't need to apologize."

 He approached Kayla and quickly kissed her before they left.

I sighed and walked back into the locker room.

------------------

The only sound that was heard was the sound of my shoes squeaking through the gym.

"Why can't I get it right," I sighed.

I tried pounding the ball but it fell out of my hands.

"You don't have control over the ball." A voice said.

WHAT THE HELL??

I locked the doors to make sure no wandering people came in.

I looked in the direction of where the voice was coming from.

It was him.

I'm sweaty, and I probably stink.

"What are you doing here?" I asked quickly, making myself presentable.

"I should be asking you that." He says as he puts his bag down on the floor.

"I uh didn't want Applebees."

"Mhm" was all he said

Jordan goes to the bleachers and puts on his pink Kobe's.

He had on gray sweatpants and a Warriors sweatshirt.

Shit, he looked really good.

"1v1? I'll help you with your handles if you win, but you have to let me know if you watched my highlights if I win.

"Deal." I sighed smiling at his stupidity.

"Check it up." He passed the ball to me and I passed it back.

He breezed past me and scored a layup.

"Imma try to go easy on you." He teased.

"I don't need you to do that," I said while checking up the ball.

Looking your defender in the eyes is the secret to locking them up. They don't anticipate my sudden layup as I continue to dribble.

"All right, all right," he said.

His defense is really easy to pass through, I did a right hesitation and made a floater.

"It's too easy." I shrugged

"It's getting hot in here; are you hot?" "I'm just going to take off my shirt."

With an effortless grin, he decided to slip off his shirt, revealing a perfectly sculpted physique.

"Are you trying to distract me? It's not working." I said lying through my teeth.

"Who said I was?" He smirked

The game was getting intense, the score was at 47-49.

I had to win.

He did his infamous in-and-out step back and shot a three.

I sighed and sat down on the floor since it was cooler down there.

"Good game." He said sitting down on the bleachers.

"Did you watch my highlights?" He asked proudly.

Even though I wasn't looking at him I know he had a smirk on his face.

"Yeah I did," I said embarrassedly.

"I knew it." He laughed.

"This is our little spot," He said while sitting on the floor with me.

"Well, I wouldn't call this little, but it's our spot," I stated as I was looking around the gym.