I'm oblivious and of the male species, but I am also deeply infatuated by all that is my Summer. That is to say that I pay attention.

She's looking at me as I walk into the living room again. First is the card and the other little thing. Then I'll bring the other stuff. The expensive stuff she'll pretend she hates me for buying her. I don't want to bombard her.

I hold out the little box with the tiniest bow I could find on it. She narrows her eyes at me suspiciously as I give her the box and card.

I can't help but smile. It's only a card and a small box, but she thinks I put the world's smallest snake in there or something. That could have been a good idea. Unfortunately, I can't be that evil on the spot.

She smiles up at me when she notices the Hello Kitty sticker. Are you kidding? is written all over her face.

"Do I open the card or box first?" She asks, patting the spot next to her so I'll sit. I do so she doesn't grow suspicious about whether or not I bought her anything else that I might need to go get.

"Card." I swallow.

She'll hate it. But I think I'll survive?

"Can I read it out loud, or would that be embarrassing? I'm not good at reading in my head."

"Of course."

She clears her throat teasingly, bringing the paper closer to her face.

"Happy nineteen, sunshine. We've only met this summer, but I can tell you that before summer, my life was so bland. I'm so happy to have met you and spent so much time with someone as effing ethereal as you. You've been such a breath of fresh air for me, and sometimes I can't believe I live on the same planet as you, my queen." She laughs at that part, gaze flicking to mine for a second. "I'm not sure what to write, but I do know all the things I like about you. Ahem. You're strong and determined. You are open-minded and accepting. Not once have you ever made me feel like I didn't matter or I wasn't enough. I have only ever seen you love and love. Give and give.

"You've introduced me to things I would have never thought I'd enjoy like makeup and Gilmore Girls. I can't thank you enough for that. Summer, you have brought out my best self, helped me to understand myself better. And in learning to listen to not only you, but also myself..."

She trails off, looking up at me with tears welling in her eyes. I smile a little because she looks so happy right now, but also so confused. And I'm shitting my pants, I think.

This took a lot of courage to write out. So much that when I went to crumble up the paper and throw it away, I couldn't. I put my heart and soul into that writing and throwing that piece of paper would have been like giving up on my feelings for Summer.

But she kissed me for a reason, cared enough to bicker with me, liked me enough to stay with me even after a free cabin opened up. She's so good and so worth it. I couldn't not tell her I feel. It would be wrong, and it would rob me of every amazing feeling and thought that's going to go through my body when she says yes.

God, I hope she says yes.

Her voice breaks, and she speaks a little louder to cover it up. "But also myself, I've realized that admire you. I envy you. I love you. There is no part of me that doesn't want this. I want you. All of you, and nothing can change that—I hope you know that. I'll never be able to do how I feel about you any justice, but maybe the pictures in the book will give an idea. Again, happy birthday."

She laughs as she reads: "P.S. Don't reject me."

Before she continues onto the box, she wraps her arms around me and tells me she won't reject me. I don't believe her. I'm too nervous to.