"What would you like to wear today?" Willa was out of Allie's view, but could still be heard, her heels clicking on the wood. "I was thinking either the blue day dress or the green one," Willa said and Allie knew exactly which ones that she had been talking about. They were her two favorite gowns.

"The blue one," Allie replied, waiting for her maid to emerge with the simple, sky blue dress that had the dark bow on the back. It was true that that dress had matched her eyes, but most dresses did or seemed to bring out the frosty color.

"It is very beautiful frock, milady," Willa had the gown in her hands, the folds of soft fabric catching on the ground just a bit. "Would you like to get dressed now or later. I think that breakfast will be served in about an hour."

"Now is fine, Willa. I know this afternoon is your time off, so if you would like to take the rest off the morning off too, that is fine with me." Allie climbed out of bed, in her silk nightgown she felt cold out of her warm bed.

"Thank you!" Willa smiled, as Allie disappeared behind the changing curtain.

There were five Merriman children altogether. Allie loved to be with her family, especially her two brothers, though the two that couldn't have been more different. Her eldest brother and heir to the Silvermont dukedom, was Harper, at only a year her senior. He had always been a timid child and it seemed to grow worse as he became older. Allie thought it was something to do with people only wanting to be around him because of the family's fortune and fame, but she guessed that it was like that for all of the Merriman children. Something had made her conclude that Mr. Livingston was trying to court Ruthie for the very reason.

Luke Merriman was younger than both her, Harper and Ruthie. He would never inherit the money that Harper would, but he already had inherited the love for women that seemed to frighten her older brother. Luke loved adventure, he seemed to have a knack for finding his way out of the most impossible situations. Harper, on the other hand, loved to read a manuscript and was rather good with numbers. The two may have been different, but they were the perfect pair and Allie loved to be with both of them or just one at a time.

It had been hard as a child growing up in the Merriment household. Allie had been seven when her youngest sister, Emilia, had been born and many scandals were surrounding whether or not she was legitimate. Unlike older children who had been born with dark locks, Emilia had an unusually head of bright auburn curls. Lady Katherine Merriman, Allie's mother, had not been faithful to the Duke of Silvermont. He had known it for some time, but this was the finishing straw and their marriage was never the same. There was no love between them as John Merriman had always wanted there to be. He made sure to make the lives of his children extra special, including Emilia, who he decided to name after his mother. He would give them anything that they wanted from the best tutors and governesses in the country to the new ponies to ride on, but it never quite made up for the lack of a mother in their lives.

"Willa, can you make sure to talk to Mrs. York before you go and see if she is still making cherry tarts. They are Ruthie's favorites and I want her to have a special homecoming!" Willa tied Allie's corset tight as she tried to speak, letting her take a breath between each lace. It was not as bad as one wore at dinner, but the things were still uncomfortable and unwanted by women who had any desire to enjoy a meal.

She tied up Allie's long brown hair after she had taken the rags out and perfect curls toppled down. They decided that she would wear it half down with half of it pulled up with a matching blue bow that Willa had to go back into the closet to retrieve.

"There. How do you feel, milady?" It was the question that Willa always asked after every time she helped Allie get ready.

"You have outdone yourself once again," Allie smiled at her reflection in the mirror of the vanity. Allie had always been a fair looking girl, considered quite beautiful in London's eyes. She was very much her mother's daughter, which scared her more than Allie cared to admit. There had been times during the season that old friends of her mother would mistake her for Katherine after a drink.