5

"Weather sure is a let-down. Isn't it, Mr. Kaedehara?" Nurse Freinz chuckled as she slid her way towards Kazuha, walking beside him as he crossed the hallway to his office.

Kazuha looked outside the window. It was a cloudy day. No sun, no sky, just greyness. Hovering over their heads, covering the light blue hue of the sky. 

"Yeah... bummer, really." he breathed, clutching onto his workbag as he prowled endlessly in the hallway. 

Too embarrassing to admit, he loved cloudy days. They always felt friendly to him, especially when there's a cool breeze on a nice, cloudy day. The blaring sun during sunny days always put him somewhat weary, the cold slashes of rain against his face weren't the most wonderful weather to enjoy. 

A cloudy day was somewhere in the middle. Not too warm, not too cold. Just the perfect temperature. 

"I love sunny days." Nurse Freinz clasped her hand together, looking upwards at the ceiling as she daydreamed about summer beaches. "They're always so warm. Gloomy days like this only bring my mood down, don't you agree?" she chirped.

"Mr. Kaedehara?" a voice called to him as he opened the door to his office, the blaring white lights shone on his face. 

He used to love his office. The greenery that dotted picturesquely around his office, the aroma of lavender that circled within his cubicle, or simply just the view of the streets as he peered outside—he loved everything about it.

Now, the mere presence of his office would make his brows furrow, his spine shiver. The faint smell of lavender now gone, the greenery that used to spread out all around his office died, and the view of the streets blocked off by ladders of construction workers fixing the hospital exterior. Who knows what the fuck they're trying to repair?

He sighed as he turned around, eyeing at whoever called out his name.

"You have an operation scheduled for 10 in the morning, if I am not mistaken." the hospital manager reminded him, a white doctor's cloak draped over him.

He never tended to any patient. He never did anything a typical doctor would do. He knows all the basics of medicine, but never once puts them to use. He could name all the antibiotics there are, but never once would prescribe a patient with the proper prescription. 

He just... hangs around. Being there when you'd least expect him to. A moving monitor, overseeing everything. He seems to know everything, he seems to be everywhere.

He only has one head, two legs. But he makes it seem like he's everyone's dark shadow—lurking in the corner.

"Yes, manager Ayato. I do." he breathed, taking off his bag and throwing it in a corner of his office. He took off his coat, hanging it behind his door.

Ayato's mouth opened and closed. His Adam's apple rising, then lowering. He swallowed. 

"I think you need to go check on patient 204," he said after loitering for a while, crossing his arms.

Kazuha's brows furrowed, expression morphing into anxiousness. "What's going on?" he asked, closing his office door. He still needs to get changed into his surgical clothing. His day hasn't begun until he changes into the appropriate attire.

"He's been having terrible headaches all night yesterday. I was afraid he might need immediate medical attention, so I put one of the night-shifters on stand-by. He observed the patient's heart speeding up to worrying beats per minute. But thankfully, they've lowered down gradually." he explained, giving Kazuha a briefing of what had happened last night.