What We Both Want

Start from the beginning

"She did... Chu, please, don't go," Lisa begs but Jisoo's stalked off in quick strides, jacket resting over one arm, exiting the café without sparing a glance back. She's furious.

Lisa wants to roll her eyes because this really has nothing to do with her, but she can't because Jisoo is her best friend and what she thinks matters, it matters a lot and it always has.

"Should we go after her?" Rosie whispers and Lisa feels even guiltier. Rosie hates conflict, avoids it at all cost, and Lisa knows her friend is trying to stay strong for her and she shouldn't have to. She hates dragging the blonde through this.

"I don't know," Lisa replies, broken. She looks at Rosie with watery eyes. Her wife hates her, and now her best friend hates her. She wants to go after Jisoo, but she doesn't know what else to say. This wasn't a decision she just settled on yesterday. "Rose, you – what do you think?"

Rosie opens and closes her mouth, torn between the colliding opinions. "Um... well... I don't know. I think you should do what's best, I guess."

Lisa wipes her eyes with the back of her hand. "I don't know anymore. God, I don't know. It never used to be this hard."

The blonde looked like she wanted to say something, but she didn't.

-

"Lali, meet Jennie," Jisoo smiles and pats Lisa on the back, encouraging. She's wearing that smirk that Lisa knows by now to be weary of.

It's a warm day. The first day of spring.

"Hi," Jennie waves, ducks her head in politeness. She's older, but Lisa's much taller. Her face is sharp and defined and she doesn't look the image of a twenty years old at all. Lisa's seen her around the university campus before, always the centre of attention with friends on either side, never alone. There's a slight air of confidence around her, but it's not arrogant or uptight, in fact, when she smiles she looks a bit shy.

Lisa isn't much better, though. She's talkative, but not around strangers. Especially attractive, popular ones. "Hello. Nice to meet you."

"You too..."

They trail off into awkward silence and uncomfortable glances.

Jisoo sighs dramatically at her two friends. "Wow. This went well."

Lisa frowns at her. "Well, maybe it would be less weird if you told us why you wanted us to meet in the first place?"

"Oh," The older laughs to herself, shameless. She turns to Jennie who raises an eyebrow in curiosity, more poised with Jisoo. "You see, Lisa and her girlfriend broke up and she's been moping for weeks. She's no fun at all. And Jennie, well, you're the complete opposite of Lisa's ex-girlfriend. So, maybe you two could go on a date or something, give me my best friend back. You know?"

"What?" Lisa gawks and her cheeks redden in humiliation. Why was she friends with Jisoo, really? "Jennie – no, don't listen to her –"

"Sure," Jennie laughs and tilts her head at Lisa. "Let's go on a date."

What. Lisa's eyes widen, incredulous. "But... why?"

"Why not?"

"Well, we – we just met!"

"Got to start somewhere, right?" The girl chuckles and takes Lisa's hand, smirk playing on her lips, coyness gone. Her complete change in mood and attitude has Lisa doing a double take.

Lisa gulps because Jennie is the epitome of beautiful. Her eyes are smouldering and her jawline defined, with high cheekbones and perfect hair.

People like Lisa, nerdy and reserved are not seen with people like Jennie.