Chapter 32. What Makeup Do You Use?

Start from the beginning

"Shall we talk inside?" Dimitri finally landed on the final step. Through the glass tinted windows, a beam of sunlight traversed past and glowed on his handsome face. His eyes curved upwards.

Lucilline held his breath.

Now that he was in unfamiliar territory, he didn't dare to overstep boundaries. "Naturally. Thank you for inviting me over, Your Highness the Crown Prince." Lucilline nodded.

"Hmm." Dimitri's gaze passed onto the butler next to the black-haired nobleman. For a second there, his eyes revealed a sharp glare—before retracting instantaneously.

He smiled gently, "Then I'll have my servants accommodate your butler. Let's go talk inside, Young Master Rubius."

Lucilline nodded.

Servants led Augustine to a separate path—probably to the kitchen or some other place. The butler kept tossing looks back at Lucilline, as if worried for him. The latter just smiled harmlessly, trying to reassure the former and hush his concerns.

"Now that we're alone," Dimitri revealed his rows of fine white teeth, "Follow me?" Behind his gentlemanly mask, he thought to himself: The nuisances are finally gone.

Lucilline nodded slowly.

He took a few steps forward, then halted. An eyebrow arched on his pale and delicate face, as he sceptically looked at the Crown Prince.

Dimitri had extended out his white gloved hand, with his palm facing upwards. He smiled, "Won't you take my hand?"

Immediately, the black-haired nobleman was on his guard. Why do I need to take his hand? Is there a trap lying around for me? Is he trying to test me? What? Could it be on strength? Or maybe reflexes? Or is there even a test at all?

He pressed down his caution, and lifted his black-gloved hand.

Gradually, Lucilline placed his hand in the Crown Prince's spare one. Their gloved hands touched one another. Dimitri's smile grew, with his lips widening in a handsome curve.

"Thank you." He whispered.

For some reason, the black-haired nobleman felt like the Crown Prince was more different than usual. His eyes were no longer calculating and hiding the indifference beneath. Instead, his hazel brown eyes shone with sincerity and softness, as if the lenses were thawing from the warmth.

Lucilline was sceptical, but did not think more about it.

He was led around in the Royal Palace by Dimitri. They bypassed an arsenal of close-combat and melee weapons, armour, and shields. The gold and jewelry decorating the palace had blinded Lucilline, despite the latter seeing his own fair share of jewelry (ahem, Duke Rubius' jewelry collection).

"Would you like to see my bed chamber?" Dimitri's face betrayed no emotions.

Lucilline stiffened. He blurted out on the spot, "Why would I need to see your bed chamber?"

Dimitri paused.

He puffed out his chest, and exaggeratedly stated, "For something important, obviously." He continued leading the way. "What we'll be discussing is confidential information. I don't want anyone to hear what we'll be talking about."

Lucilline drifted along. Is that so...

He wondered how confidential the information will be. It shouldn't be life-threatening... After all, he is just the third son of Duke Rubius. It's not like he's an important asset to the Crown Prince.

They went up spirals of the stair. Finally, they reached to a large double door painted in luxurious white.

Dimitri stopped holding Lucilline's hand, letting it drop to the latter's own side.