seven ─ dead of winter

Start from the beginning

The night of the first game was frigid. Everyone bundled in layers, maybe a hat and gloves if they weren't brave to face the cold. Beacon Hills received cold weather every once in a while, still the citizens were never prepared. Pure Californian at heart. Neviah exhaled, watching the air turn visible then invisible. A frosty confession left for flora and fauna yearning to warm them. She beamed, aching her cold cheeks further.

"How can you be so happy, it's like negative fifty degrees out?" Allison exaggerated, underneath her two jackets, knitted gloves and hat. She patted her hands to her flushed cheeks, trying to gain the feeling back.

Neviah laughed at her friend, taking her arm into hers. She leaned her head onto Allison's shoulder to give warmth. "Winter is my favorite season. I don't care how cold it is, I will love it."

"It's 'cause she's a freak," Malikai teased, joining the two in his lacrosse gear. Neviah jutted her head dramatically. "Are you two ready to see Beacon Hills beat Mystic Falls' ass?"

The two girls locked eyes, getting infected by the others' smiles. "Don't get too cocky, Mal, it causes bad luck," Neviah teased, narrowing her eyes playfully, pointing a covered finger towards him.

"The whole team already has bad luck. Lahey withdrew at the last minute for work, Jackson still has a shit shoulder, and Scott looks like he's going to cry," Mal explained, hustling each word out with more speed than the last. Anxiety leaked from his pores and drowned his eyes. Neviah grimaced internally. He was actually nervous.

He points to Allison as the gears in his head turn on, flickering a light bulb. "You should give him, like, a pep talk or, a kiss, whatever. Something like that so he doesn't suck ass."

Allison's mouth gaped.

Neviah reacted quickly to correct his careless words. "He's joking! Right, Mal?" She glared at him. He nodded rapidly. "Scott will do fine, the team will do fine. And we will win, like always."

Allison took Neviah reassurance as truth, ignoring her negative thoughts. If Neviah could believe the team will do good, she could too. Only, Neviah did not believe her words, she just wanted one less anxious person to deal with. Lydia was already enough.

Malikai told them good-bye, heading towards his team. He must have not wanted to deal with Allison's dad, who was walking their way. Allison pointed him out in a whisper, before straightening her stance and smiled. "Hi, dad."

"Hey, Allison. Who's this?" Chris Argent questioned. He was attractive for his age, Neviah couldn't lie.

Neviah held out her hand with a polite smile. "Neviah Degrace."

Chris' eyes widened, just subtle to where no one would notice. But Neviah always did. She put it on the back burner, not thinking too much off it as he took her hand and smiled.

"Chris Argent."

"Oh, dad! Since you've met Neviah, do you think we could have a sleepover?" Allison asked, batting her eyes. She was totally a daddy's little girl, and she knew how to use it to her advantage. Maybe, she wasn't as innocent as Neviah first concluded.

"Uh-" Chris started before Neviah cut him off.

"My dad is right there, you two can meet and talk," she suggested, waving her dad over. While she wasn't at the same level of daddy's little girl as Allison, she did know how to use her dad's feelings to persuade him. "Daddy, this is-"