14. gold's golden egg

act one chapter fourteen
GOLD'S GOLDEN EGG
season one episode two - three
❝ careful, dearie. ❞

────── · ✦ · ──────

once she hears her brother's muffled footsteps on the floor above, marie takes out her homework and lays everything out on the space in front of her so that it'd be ready for her to work on during dinner. the brunette stands up and ties her damp hair into a loose braid before heading into the kitchen and opening the refrigerator.

she finds a bowl with just enough leftover chicken pesto pasta for two and takes it off the shelf, shutting the doors of the fridge after. she then peels the clingwrap off the top and pops it in the microwave for two minutes before leaning against the kitchen island to wait for the beep.

━━━

"what do you feel like having for lunch?" marie asks the younger boy sitting on top of the kitchen island in his galaxy-themed nightwear. "salad?"

"why do you immediately think of healthy things every time you're supposed to prepare our meals from scratch?"

"fine. your lunch, your choice." why did william have to buy that nutcracker yesterday? "just remember i'm preparing it and i'm not the best at cooking."

"i still can't believe you managed to set a pop tart on fire."

that was when she was still working on her chemistry skills. physics had always been number one in her scientific studies, after all.

"well, who was the one who asked me to make him a pop tart in the first place?"

"let's not get into details."

marie rolls her eyes at william and takes out a packet of seaweed from one of the cupboards. "we like japanese. let's roll some sushi. easy." william makes a face.

"we don't have fish."

"so what? just eat it plain and pack a bag of fruit for dessert."

━━━

beep! beep! beep!

the girl smiles at the memory of the recent mess they made in the kitchen and pushes herself up off the counter to retrieve the bowl in the microwave. william shows up in star wars nightwear as she places the bowl down on the counter. "i want to eat with dad."

"dad's coming home late and we have school tomorrow."

"he always comes home late," william mutters under his breath. his sister turns around to face him.

"i know." when he doesn't say anything in reply, marie clicks her tongue and exhales sharply. "what if we take a walk?"

will raises an eyebrow. "after our curfew?"

"it's not like father's here to stop us." this causes the younger walter to grin. "you have to eat with me when we come back, though."

"deal."

the two siblings walk out of the kitchen and into the foyer to get their coats and put on their shoes. "where are we going?" will asks as marie grabs her keys and slips it into one of the pockets of her coat.