Chapter 4: Your Worst Fear [edited]

[FOR BEST EXPERIENCE, PLAY MUSIC ON THE "•" SYMBOL
-
-
-
3 3/4 YEARS AGO

You walked through the icy roads of Shneznaya, taking in the sunset that slowly turned into dark skies above you. Diverting your way off the path, you noticed a familiar ginger-haired recruit, standing at the edge of the same frozen lake you met him at.

"Early today I see", you chuckled

The tall man turned back to see you, his dark blue eyes coated with a slight tint of orange from the setting sun. He gave you a playful smirk before taking his hands out of his pockets and shrugging.

"I had to make sure you wouldn't do anything rash" he laughed "After all, you've developed some interesting habits "

"Is that so?" you chuckled. 

"Hey, I'm just glad you haven't chucked yourself into the lake yet" he grinned.

You've known Ajax for about 3 months now. The Tsaritsa approved him as a harbinger per your interference. After you met him as Y/n, everyday you would go to the same place to end everything, and everyday he would stop you. At some point you expected each other.

All in all, you had come to know each other quite well over the few months, despite not knowing each other's true identities. Ajax did not know that "Y/N" was actually "Pierro". "Y/N" to him, did not know that "Ajax" was "Tartaglia"

Oh but she did

"How has life been with your little trouble maker?" you joked, pointing to his sweater which had obviously been painted on by a couple of children. He laughed and said asked towards you.

"Which one? Teucer, Tonia, or Anton?" He smiled

"Depends" you hummed "Which one drew a ruin guard on your face last week?"

"COUGH—" Ajax choked, flustered "HEY! YOU SAID YOU WOULDN'T BRING THAT UP AGAIN!"

The two of you bickered and talked for a bit, enjoying each other's company. Enjoying what would be the last time you'd know each other as "Y/N" and "Ajax"

[•—•—•]
[PRESENT DAY]

"..Y/N?"

You turned around to see a certain Raven-green haired man staring at you with stars in his eyes (though trying to hide it). You gave him a quaint smile before he snapped into his senses and pointed his jaded spear at you.

"Your with the fatui" he scowled, earning a chuckle from you.

"How's our little Phoenix? (Reference to Xiao fic)" you teased. The Yaksha tensed and showed a hint of what looked like a blush on his face. You knew exactly how to get to him, and boy did you always succeed.

"You should have stayed in Shneznaya" he sneered. You couldn't help but laugh as you could almost imagine cat ears and a tail on him, as he resembled a house cat hissing at it's owner. "I've missed you too" you giggled "How have you been?"

"...fine" he replied reluctantly. He seemed to have been thinking about whether he should hug you like a friend, or stab you like an enemy. "Nightmares still bothering you?" You sat crisscross on the ground "Or is our birdie still helping you sleep"

"..She's in a coma right now" he frowned "It's her annual succession"

AN: annual succession for the Phoenix (in my universe) is when they re-new they're skin by turning to ash and rejuvenating. This happens every year.