Set fire on my brain!

Começar do início

*So it was a dream, huh? But such a weird one!*, she thought and sat on her bed trying to recover from her drowsy state. The brunette rubbed her eyes and checked the time from her wall's clock while reaching for this so wanted glass of water to calm her beating heart.

It was still 6 in the morning and she groaned in irritation as the hour was too early to head for work but simultaneously too late to head back for sleep. However, she had been wide awake by now as this bizarre dream still played like a movie on her mind and so she finally decided to begin her day with a strange combination of feelings on her chest.

She picked up her blanket that had fallen on the wooden floor and began folding it neatly until her hands stopped working unconsciously and she felt warm drops burning her hand's skin. Tears started running down her cheeks at this familiar but yet so forgotten feeling of being loved. She could still sense the comfort of that woman's touch on her face and hair and not until now had she realized how much she had missed such a loving gesture.

Elga crawled at the space between the wall and her bed and rested there for some minutes with her head buried on her legs, crying her lungs out until she exhausted herself and fell asleep again.

~...~

Law was sitting on a chair in front of the kitchen's table with already his second steaming cup of coffee in hand.

He had lost count of the hours he was awake but it was for sure pretty early as the moon was still apparent high in the sky with millions of shining stars decorating the black canvas. However, he couldn't go back to sleep due to the nightmares that continuously haunted his dreams.

It would be easier to ease himself if these nightmares were just bad images his subconscious created because of an anxious day but that wasn't the case as these pictures were memories he was doomed to carry at the depths of his brain probably until the day he dies.

Sounds of children crying.

People screaming.

A burning town.

The people he called father and mother, his younger sister Lammy.

His family.

Can't save anyone, can't protect anything.

Everything disappearing into the flames.

He run into the center of town. Trying to save anyone; he just want to save even one person.

But his wish isn't granted.

Only a world turning to ash in front of him. Blackened and burned bodies all around him at his feet.

The worst part was that these nightmare kept coming every time he would fall to rest his eyes and as a doctor he knew it wasn't healthy. But he cared no less for his well-being and the first symptoms of his insomnia were clear from the dark shadows under his tired eyes and his lack of concentration.

He buried his head between his hands and rested his temple on the table's hard surface.

He tried to drink one more sip from the bitter liquid to ease the unbearably throbbing headache but it did nothing and so he decided to step outside for a bit hoping the cold air will help him feel better.

Once he felt the cold yet wet feeling on his shoes, he thought if a small walk would be a good idea but when he was about to head for the forest's path, while walking by the girl's place, his gaze caught a movement inside.

Why was she awake from this early hour?

Curiously he approached the former shed and saw the brunette crying at a corner of her room.