18

"Please refer to local radio stations for emergency instructions

"Please refer to local radio stations for emergency instructions. Do not leave your homes for any reason. This is a nationwide warning. Until authorities give the all-clear, you must stay in your home. Do not attempt to leave your dwelling, call emergency services or try to reach loved ones.

This is a national emergency. All television broadcasts are suspended for the foreseeable future. Please refer to local radio stations for emergency instructions."

-+-

18

Runa kept Hertha and Stigr covered by her own body, not wanting them to see the horror of Vidarr's injury, but, after an initial fountain of blood, the stump immediately healed. New flesh, but not a new arm. He seemed to feel no pain, however, his roar one of anger, reverberating around the massive, magical cave.

With his other, uninjured arm, Vidarr struck Fenrir's jaw with the back of his hand, sending the wolf-god tumbling away. From nowhere, a great, jagged axe appeared in Vidarr's hand, crackling with otherworldly energy and the one-armed god prepared to pounce after Fenrir, who had crashed into a stand of trees, uprooting them and sending the animals and birds within to flight.

Runa heard Thor give a rumbling growl and she saw a long-shafted hammer appear in his hands, lightning coruscating along its length. It appeared that Ragnarök would finally come to Runa's island after all. But Odin also moved. He too materialised a weapon. A spear that glowed with a light as fierce as the Sun itself, and he blocked both Vidarr and Thor's rush towards Fenrir, catching their weapons on his own and holding them back with ease.

"No! Were you to end the dog here, it would end this turn of the wheel!" He pushed his sons backwards with ease and pointed the spear at them both. "Fools! It would be a thousand years before the cycle ran its course once more. We all must follow the destiny laid before us as foretold or Ragnarök will not come to pass in this age!"

"Do you understand, Runa Gunnarsdottir? You have heard, but do you understand? The final player approaches and you will have an opportunity. Only one. Take it."

Runa heard Fenrir's words that were meant for her alone. The other gods distracted, they did not know that Fenrir had spoken to her. The wolf-god lifted himself to his feet and moved to stand behind Odin, as though taunting Vidarr and Thor and they fought to pass the All-Father. Fenrir looked beyond them all, however, towards the mouth of the cave and the raging storm beyond.

She turned her head to try to see what Fenrir looked at and saw a figure outside. The figure had paused at the barrier between the cave and the real world, as though uncertain how to proceed and then stepped through, into the interior of the cave.

McAreavey. How he had survived the waves that had smashed against him, especially after the blow from Odin, Runa could never imagine. He was not without injury, however. One side of his face had a mask of blood, one eye swollen so badly, she doubted he would ever see from it again. He stumbled as he tried to walk forwards, but he had a determination about him, step after step, a shotgun in his hands. A different one.