Chapter 7

Alexa's POV 

I was sitting on the couch and I was so sad that I couldn't go to the Winter Formal. The door bell rang. "Oh! I wonder who that could be," my mom said. "Alexa, do you want to get that?" "I do not," I replied. "You know, sweetie, during the holidays, magical things happen," my mom said as she opened the door. "Right, pizza." "Your mom's right, magical things do happen around the holidays," the pizza man said. "For example, on the walk from my car I dropped your pizza. Nine times out of ten it drops cheese-side down, but tonight..." He opened the box of pizza. "Oh, jeez. Just scrape it off with a spatula. You'll probably recapture some of the magic." The pizza man left. "You know what's even more magical?" My mom said. "Chinese food." The doorbell rang again. "Oh! I wonder who that could be?" My mom said. "Alexa, do you want to get that?" "Still do not." I said.  "Dashing through the snow," people started singing. "In a one-horse open sleigh." My mom slammed the door on them. "Oh, hey, Jack," My mom said as Jack walked in. "You want some pizza?" "No, thanks," he said sadly. "You don't want pizza?" My mom said in shock. "Oh. Is everything OK?" "I'm never getting a puppy," Jack replied. "I'm missing my first high school dance," I added. "Does your dance bark and lick your face?" Jack asked me. I saw his point and gave him my food. The doorbell rang for the third time. "I wonder who... I'm just gonna get it," my mom said. 

It was Katie. "Hi," she said. "Hey," I said getting up. I realized how beautiful she looked. "You look beautiful." I told her. "But shouldn't you be at the dance?" "Not without you," she replied. "This year, we've been through so much. And we're in this together. Always." I smiled and held her hands. "Alexa Mendoza," she started. "Will you go to the Winter Formal with me?" "You know I can't," I reminded her. "Yes, you can," she decided. "Cancer can't stop us. You can wear this." She held out a mask. "Katie!" I exclaimed. "Can I go?" I turned to my parents. "I talked to Dr. Breitwieser and he said it was OK." My mom told me. "We're going to Winter Formal!" We both squealed. "OK, hurry and get dressed and I'll finish styling your wig," Katie said. "Great," I started to walk away when I had an idea. "Or... what if we did something kind of crazy?"