Chapter 13: When Everything Was Still Okay

Arc 4: Between You and Me

---

Year 854: Libero Internment District

Day of the Festival

Summer.

For many, summer is seen as the height of the year. Not only in temperature, but in spirit and festivities. This year in particular was exceptionally lively.

It wasn't often that the Eldians of the Libero District came together to celebrate anything. However, with the conclusion of Marley's most recent war it seemed as though Libero had just as much to celebrate as Marley itself.

From food to crafts, the summer market was brimming with life.

For many of those who'd previously been out fighting Marley's war, this was the first summer in nearly four years where they were actually back home. This was especially apparent for a select few who, due to a mission across the sea, would be attending their first festival in nearly a decade.

"Come on Miss Pieck!" Urged the usually passive, Falco Grice. The young boy motioned for the young woman to follow but only earned a laugh in response.

"Falco, the festival isn't going anywhere. We can take our time."

Pieck wasn't among those who had gone to the Island of Paradis the first time, but she had been there. Nothing had particularly stood out to her back then, but she often chalked that up to the fact that there was nothing noteworthy to see in the first place. Then again, she had to admit that when she'd gone, she had never actually seen any of the civilizations further within the walls like a few of her fellow Warriors had.

Unlike Reiner and (Y/n) who'd lived there for half a decade, Porco who had inherited memories from someone who once lived within Paradis, or even Zeke who'd gone past the second wall, Peick was at a complete and utter loss as to what civilization on Paradis was like.

From time to time, Pieck couldn't help but wonder if the people on the island held festivals similar to their own.

She wondered if the children laughed and played, and if the adults talked and gossiped like they did here at home. She knew from experience that opposing nations had been similar to her own home, so she presumed that Paradis was the same. Not that it garnered any opinions from her. Pieck made sure to keep her opinion on the island... indifferent.

"But the others are getting farther and farther away." Falco explained, "and I don't want to leave you behind!"

"Don't worry about Pieck, Cadet Grice." interrupted the familiar voice of (Y/n). As she approached, Pieck noticed that the look on the (h/c)ette's face was one she could only describe as knowing. "I'll keep her company."

"Are you sure?"

(Y/n) laughed, "you're welcome to stay behind with us if you'd like, but I'm certain you'd enjoy your time much more if you weren't lagging behind with us 'old people'."

Falco nodded, blushing as he dashed to catch up with the others and leaving the Cart and Crystal Titan shifters by themselves. Peick noticed a lingering look in (Y/n)'s eyes as the young boy disappeared into the crowd.

"That boy..." (Y/n) started, "too kind for his own good. Sometimes I can't help but worry for him."

Pieck quickly found herself chuckling at her companion's strange change in tone. Sure, she's always known that (Y/n) was rather fond of the Warrior Cadets, but she was surprised by just how much she cared.