Prologue

River's POV

My heart beats erratically. I could feel my legs slowly giving out as I try to run through the trees around me. I spotted a tall tree in the distance and I scurry over its side, my body screaming in protest. My throat starts to form knots from the escape and I struggled to breathe.

"Shit!" I thought, panic slowly fills my being. It certainly did not helped my situation. 

His footsteps... It's gone. 

I lift my right hand and clutched my chest in attempt to calm myself. A bright light appeared and slowly, i recover from fatigue and I feel my breathing back to normal. I'm aware healing takes most of your light but at this point I just can't find it in me to care. 

It sucks because you can't heal fear.

I slumped my body down the trunk. What now? My mind can't process things to do. It seems to always go back to his words when I escaped the void, 

"You can run all you want." The sick way his voice echoed in the void and in my mind sent me through the edge. 

"I will always find you." 

Part of me doesn't believe him. That I could and I can find a way to end all this. To go back to my home and get away from Max. But years of captivity takes a toll on you. It makes you believe that he's right. 

"You're mine!"

 The last thing I remember was crying.. and then darkness. 

__________________________________________________________________

The sound of a low chuckle brought me back to my senses. 

No! 

My heart started to thump against my chest. Loud, slow footsteps can be heard and I desperately tried to zip my mouth and make my presence undetected, nervous drips of sweat on my forehead.

"I told you." I whip my head forward and gasped as I saw him there. His hair dripping wet, his evil smirk pointed directly at me. I smelt the tears before they could come down and small sobs begin to escape my mouth. 

Max started to walk towards me and I panicked. I thought hard and tried to think of a way to escape. 

I blinked and raised both my hands into the sky. I watch as a bright blinding light forms on my palm, then my eyes became its full bright blue. I focused all my remaining light and strike a single ray, a low painful grunt from my mouth follows at the same time. My body slowly losing all balance and power but I tried to stay intact.

The light travels through the clouds. It suppose to call for help and I struggled to maintain the energy as my body screams its protests. 

Then a powerful force suddenly hit me sending my back to the trunk of the tree and I coughed blood. Fuck! My head quite dizzy and my body fights to stay conscious.

Then I looked up, the light slowly dissipates through the sky and I scurry over to my stance to try again. Please don't fail me now.

But before I could fully lift my two hands, he's already in my face and held both of it down with such force pinning them with one hand. I look forward and was greeted with his red eyes.

My eyes instantly closed and I started to cry hard.  "Let go!"

"That's right Rye, be afraid." He said and I stopped breathing as he lifted his free hand. "Be very afraid." And then a powerful wave in my body. My head threw itself back, more blood coughed out of my mouth. He still has me in his arms and I just lay there motionless. 

"You think a little light user like you could inflict damage to me? Think again." He spat and I felt his hand held both of mine tighter until I was screaming. He did not stop, not satisfied until he heard a crack. My screams cut short in utter pain and my head fell forward.

"P-please.. s-stop this-" My head lolled back when I felt another powerful wave and he released me. My body immediately fell to the wet ground.

I'm already drained, already incapable of producing light. My body protests at every move and so does my mind. 

Please someone, save me.

I hear his slow steps coming to me and he grips my hair, lifting my body from the ground forcefully so I could see his face. Scared tears on my cheeks, wincing while he haul my body up.

"You're a scum! No wonder no one wa-" Suddenly, he laughed and let go of my hair. I watch as he pointed his hand on the ground and perform a spell. A deep black circle formed under me and I stiffened. 

I'm in a gravity ground. More tears filled my eyes and I screamed for him to stop.

"We're going back." He growled and then..I just lost it. 

I lost all my will to fight. I could feel my light escape me. My head dropped down, hands firmly on my sides and I felt his hands on my shoulders forcefully pushing me onto the ground.

I'm on my knees, head bowed down. My eyes turning back to their normal ones.

I can't move. It's extremely hard to from the spell he made. I'm trapped.

I guess it's just it.

It's my fate.

To be his slave,

to stay in his hands forever.