Twenty

Tess sat on the bench outside Piggies' waiting for Maddie. She wasn't as nervous as she thought she'd be. She guessed that was because technically, even though it was interrupted, they'd had their first official date last night. Plus she was also more than a little curious about the so-called 'big secret' Maddie didn't get the chance to tell her, and wondered if it had anything to do with Jo.

"Hey," Maddie called. Tess looked up to see her walking along the footpath. She was wearing a summer dress that floated around her knees as she walked, a plain red baseball cap pulled down on her head and a backpack slung over one shoulder. Tess felt a little under dressed in her cargo shorts and t-shirt.

Tess stood up and Maddie greeted her with a hug.

"What's in the bag?" Tess asked.

"Spare clothes and stuff. For staying at Lizzie's tonight."

"Oh."

"Aren't we staying at Lizzie's tonight?" Maddie asked, looking confused.

"Yes we are. I just didn't know whether Jo would let you stay out."

"Pfft," Maddie said, waving her hand like she was swatting a fly. "Jo's a pushover."

"Okay then," Tess smiled. Her stomach fluttered at the thought of spending the night with Maddie. She opened the door to Piggies' and ushered Maddie inside. The heat from the fryers hit them as they walked over to the counter, and it was just starting to get busy with the lunch rush.

Mrs Hemingway, the owner of Piggies' and one of Gran's oldest friends, greeted them and said, "I heard about the fire. Hope no-one was hurt?" She wiped her hands on her apron and pulled a pen from behind her ear.

"Everyone's fine," Tess said. "The cane paddock's trashed though."

"Shame," Mrs Hemingway said. "What can I get you girls?"

Maddie leaned in to Tess and asked, "What do you think?"

"The chicken burger is one of the best you'll ever have," Tess replied. "Unless, you know, you want a salad or something."

"A chicken burger is fine," Maddie said, giving Tess a nudge with her shoulder.

"Two chicken burgers," Mrs Hemingway said. "Chips?"

Tess glanced at Maddie who said, "We can share some?"

Mrs Hemingway nodded. "Chips for two. Any drinks?"

"Lime milkshake for me, thanks," Tess said.

"Make that two," Maddie said.

Mrs Hemingway shook her head and said, "Now I know two crazy people who drink green milk." She rang up the order and Tess paid, despite Maddie insisting on paying for her half. As she took Tess's money, Mrs Hemingway asked, "Do either of you girls know someone called India?"

Tess shook her head. "No. Why?"

"A young man, about your age, came in yesterday afternoon looking for someone called India something-or-other. Something like that. Said he was a friend of hers and thought she might be staying around here somewhere. I thought you might've known her from school or something."

"Not me," Tess said, though she thought there might be something vaguely familiar about the name. "Maddie?" Tess asked.

"No," Maddie said. "No-one I know."

Tess thought Maddie had gone a little bit green. "Are you feeling okay? You look a little sick."

"I'm okay," Maddie said.