Twelve

After making a start on the Cow Pat Bingo field, Tess and Lizzie decided it was far too hot to be working outside. Gran and Pop had gone into town to take the cupcakes to the bakery to store until the weekend, and Will had just arrived back after spending some time with his band.

They'd all just moved down a few metres on the front veranda chasing the shade, and Tess lay back on the banana lounge listening to Lizzie and Will discussing the cancelled concerts again.

"Listen to this," Lizzie said, reading out yet another update. "Someone who says they're close to the band says that Indiana Rose has definitely gone to rehab."

"And they know this how?" Will asked. He was bent over the screen on his tablet sorting out his band's play list for the weekend.

"He's been around for ages, like me. He always seems to know what's going on."

"Sounds like a snitch," Will said. "Or an idiot who wants everyone to think he knows the band."

"Doesn't matter," Lizzie replied. "At least someone seems to be telling us all what's going on."

"What does it matter?" Will asked. "The concerts were cancelled. Why do you need to know why?"

"Enquiring minds want to know, and I need to have something to write on my blog next week."

Though Lizzie wanted to be a proper journalist, she spent a lot of time maintaining her fan blog for the band. It was mainly just gossip and a place for her to chat to other fans, but she took it very seriously.

"Speaking of gossip," Will said. "I overheard Pop tell Gran that the council weren't going to stump up any money this year. What's that about?"

"Who knows?" Tess said. "But it's got Pop worried. He says they've had stallholders pull out too, so it's not looking good. He even said we might not have a festival next year."

"Really?" Lizzie looked up from her phone.

Tess nodded forlornly. "Not much we can do he reckons."

"I don't know," Will said. "I reckon there's plenty we can do."

"Like what?" Tess asked.

"You know what," Will said.

Tess shook her head. "Pop won't go for it, Will. He won't let us get more bands than we have-"

"Which is how many exactly?" Lizzie asked.

Tess sat up. "Look, we just need to get through this year, and then we'll have a whole year to come up with something better."

"We have come up with something better," Will said. "We could talk to Pop-"

"No," Tess said, sliding her feet off the chair and onto the floor. "I told you, Pop said no, and when he makes up his mind, there's no changing it."

"I just don't get it," Will said. "Don't you want to save the festival?"

"Of course I do," Tess said. "But it's way too late now to be making changes. It's only a couple of days away."

Will picked at the cover on his tablet. Lizzie, obviously sensing the tension, said, "I can see if Dad can do a bit more of a feature in the paper on Friday."

"Would you?" Tess asked.

"Sure. Why not?" Lizzie said. "A bit of extra publicity might make more people come on the weekend."

"Power of the press, hey?" Will said.

"Yep," Lizzie said. "And that's exactly my point about the band. They could've done a press conference, or released a statement or-"

"God, Lizzie, you can turn anything back on to talking about Three's Company," Will said, throwing himself melodramatically back into his beanbag.

Lizzie went quiet as she scrolled through her phone. She'd do that for ages, just trolling for bits of information on the band.

Tess let her mind wander and wondered what Maddie was doing. Maddie had messaged earlier to let Tess know that she had another appointment in the morning, but didn't say whether she'd be able to come to dinner or not.

As if he'd read Tess's mind, Will asked, "What's Maddie up to this afternoon?"

"Not sure," Tess said. "She had an appointment but I'm not sure what else."

Lizzie said, "We should see what she's up to this afternoon. See if she wants to come over."

"And do what? We're not exactly doing anything exciting," Tess said.

"We could watch a movie," Lizzie suggested.

"We just spent all morning inside," Tess replied.

"We could go swimming up at the dam," Will said. He gave Tess a little smile.

Tess smiled back and said, "That's a great idea."

Will stood up and stretched. "Text Maddie and see if she wants to come. She can show Lizzie how she won judge's choice last night."

Tess laughed and said, "She won't be sneaking that past me again." She took out her phone and sent Maddie a text. While she waited for Maddie's reply, Lizzie said, "You know, Maddie kind of reminds me of someone, but I can't quite put my finger on it."

"She kind of looks like that actress," Will said. "What's her name? From Mercury Point."

"Tiffany McDonald?" Tess guessed. Tiffany would be the only one Will was referring to since she was another of his unattainable crushes. Come to think of it, Maddie did look a little like Tiffany. Though Tiffany had longer hair, and it was darker with a thick red streak through her fringe.

"That's her," Will confirmed.

"Maybe," Lizzie said, "but I don't think that's it."

Tess's phone buzzed. Maddie replied

Will ask Jo Give me 10

"What did she say?" Will asked.

"She has to ask Jo," Tess said. She stood up and wandered over to the edge of the veranda and leaned on the railing.

"I'll go get us some towels," Lizzie said and headed inside.