"Dove. . ." he was speechless. What could he tell her? Her assumption was probably correct, and as long as it was true, she wouldn't discard the idea. Finnick knew she wouldn't do something that would endanger anyone she loved. In his eyes, Dove was an amazing person, which didn't deserve anything she was going through.

"Is there anything I can say or do to make you want to survive?" Dove wasn't expecting to hear that question. It seemed she kept underestimating Finnick's character, even now that they were supposed to be close. Why is he so sweet to me when I'm selfishly considering dying? She wondered as she looked at him.

"Finnick. . . No one needs me. Angel is more necessary in my family than I am. There's no need for me to go back if I'm only going to be a burden." Finnick's worry only got worse as she kept talking. Since when had Dove started to have such destructive thoughts?

"I do. I need you," he stated. "You. . . You promised me you would fight in exchange for me to protect your family. So you better fight. . .Come back to me," the words surprised her. It was the first time she heard anyone had told her that. Finnick needed her around. Maybe it was just not to have nightmares again, but she didn't care. 

He needs me alive. Dove repeated in her mind. "I know I promised. And I'll come back alive for you and my family." The words escaped her mouth before she had the time to think about it. Finnick relaxed, tears threatening to leave his eyes. She felt horrible for being the reason he was in that state.

"Let's go to sleep." Dove got up and followed Finnick to her room. Once they were inside, he almost threw himself onto the bed. Slowly, she laid next to him. They fell asleep hugging each other, but that night, it wasn't as peaceful for Finnick as it usually was.

It wasn't morning yet when he woke up screaming. In his nightmare, he watched Dove inside the Arena. She was struggling to survive all alone. Then, out of nowhere, she took her knife and stared at it before killing herself. She had given up on making it back, and refused to be killed by any other tribute.

But she was still there, next to him. She was breathing slowly as she slept peacefully. "You're OK," he muttered, laying again next to her. Strands of her hair brushed against her face, and the corners of her mouth were slightly upwards. Whatever she was dreaming about, it was good.

Finnick didn't know why he was constantly worrying about her. Or why every time she smiled, he did too. Melo's questioning had given him an idea. Love. People did say that love could make anyone do stupid things. And he was for sure doing something stupid.

The exact moment Dove had told him about President Snow's deal, he should have walked away. It would have been the best for both of them. And yet, there they were, giving him easy game material.

As he stared at her, he felt relieved he had done something stupid. If he hadn't been there for her, or if she hadn't said it at loud, would she have kept the dying plan on? He would never know, and he was happy he wouldn't.

Dove's hair suddenly became brighter. Dawn was breaking. It was his cue to leave the room. He didn't want to, not after what she had told him. Finnick was afraid that if he left her alone, she would think about it again. And he wouldn't be there to stop her.

The door opened, revealing an Avox girl with the training outfit for Dove. She didn't realise Finnick's presence until she turned to leave. He got a finger in front of his mouth, motioning her not to wake Dove up. The Avox nodded and left the room quietly.

"Dove, dawn's breaking. I've got to go. Will you be alright on your own?" Dove sat up, still half asleep, and nodded. "Morning," she muttered.

"Morning to you too," he chuckled. "Come on, go get a shower. Your training outfit is right there. Wear it to breakfast, OK?" she nodded again. Too tired to utter any words. Once Finnick was gone, she did as he had told her and took a shower.