"He's in Tulley," the poor girl finally confessed, and Charlotte raised an eyebrow. At least they wouldn't have to stay in the middle of nowhere for much longer. "It's near the border. A bar called Southern Comfort. It's off Highway 41."

"Thank you, my love," Nik whispered, and Charlotte listened to the whimperings inside. She could hear their heartbeats even more from this closeness, and she ached to sink her teeth into them. She wanted to do it instead of Stefan—for his own sake—but she also wanted to do it for herself too. She missed the vulgar brutality. "Now, may my friend come in your home?"

"Yes," a voice choked out, and Stefan didn't hesitate to open the screen door that he'd been leaning forward on. He slipped inside, holding the door open slightly for Charlotte to follow. One of the girls widened her eyes upon seeing her, and Charlotte's lips twitched. They must've known who she was.

Nik shoved the blonde girl in his arms toward her brother. "Kill this one quickly," he instructed, his eyes flickering to the girl that had tried to run. "Make that one suffer." He moved past Stefan. "I'll be in the car."

Charlotte's eyes sparkled, and she licked her lips, excited for what was to come next. However, before she or Stefan could even begin, she felt Nik latch onto her arm and pull her outside. She stumbled a little over the threshold, and shook her head, eyes glaring at the hybrid.

"What the hell, Nik?" she whined, pointing back to the house petulantly as they walked to the car. "I want a taste too!"

Suddenly, Nik had pulled her closer so that they were eye to eye, his gaze fiery. "I know what you're doing," he whispered, and she quirked an eyebrow.

"Oh yeah?" she asked, crossing her arms. "And what would that be?"

"Stefan chose this, Charlotte," Nik reminded her. "And you taking his would-be victims for yourself is only going to prolong his stay with us."

Her jaw tightened. "You know he doesn't like this," she breathed quietly. "You know I don't have any qualms about doing your dirty work, so why bring him into it?"

A scream pierced the peaceful atmosphere around the house, and Charlotte winced slightly. She tried to cover up the reaction, but Nik caught it, and he tilted his head, smirking devilishly.

"Maybe I want him to enjoy it as much as his little sister?" he joked, and Charlotte deadpanned.

"Be serious."

"I am," he replied, and this time, she could hear the clear warning in his voice. He leaned closer, and she could feel his breath across her face. "I suggest you let me do what I want with Stefan, or else I might get bored with him." His smirk grew, and chills danced along her spine despite the humidity in the air. "Even if I can't get rid of you, I can certainly get rid of him." His grip tightened on her arm, nearly shaking her. "Remember that."

Her jaw clenched, but Nik had already turned away from her, dragging her back toward the direction of the car. She hated that Stefan was forced into this by his own stupidity. She hated being tossed aside for Nik's new toy with her brother. She hated having to pretend to be sweet when all she wanted to do was to sink her teeth into a warm body. She hated it. She hated him.

And yet, she was even more stuck than Stefan. She would never be able to leave, no matter how much her hatred grew.

<<>>

Nik was really getting on her nerves.

First, he roped her brother into their mess. Then, he forces her to stay on the sidelines and watch Stefan fall deeper and deeper. And now, he actually wanted her to play bait.