Jessica sees me and turns away from her group to greet me. "Hey girly!" She runs up to me.

               "Hey Jess," I respond. I already feel all the glares I'm getting. Too bad I know I look too good to care. Not that I ever did.

               "Oh my, you look amazing!" Jess grabs my arms and checks out my outfit. It's nothing much, just a black cropped square neck with jeans and flannel around my waist incase it gets cold.

               "I even wore jewelry for you," I tell her. It might not be real but at least I can pair metals that go with my skin tone.

               "Is that even a little makeup I see?"

               "Just tint and gloss." I'm actually very good at makeup, but beauty is something used against you at this school. I can already imagine the rumors about me next week, but I don't care. I know Jess needs someone who cares about her feelings in her life right now. Her parents haven't been home in over two months. Not that mine have ever been any better. I just stopped waiting for them to be around.

               "Looks good," one of the cheer girls say from behind her. "Who are we dressing up for all of the sudden?" Didn't think the attacks would start this soon.

               "Surprisingly Mackenzie," I look over Jess' shoulder to her. "Some people look good for themselves instead of male approval." She huffs at me. Deal with it bitch.

               "Come on now," Jess interferes. "Everyone looks amazing, and we're all at a fun game. Let's just get along and enjoy ourselves."

               "Very well," another one scoffs from behind. "Well, come on Jess. The guys are saving us seats." We start to step towards the stands. "Actually," she steps in front of me. "The guys only saved enough seats for us four. Sorry." Liar.

               "Oh that's okay," Jess starts. "Just tell Justin I'll see him Monday."

               "What?!" The third one exclaims. "Are you seriously just going to stand here with her?!"

               "Yup," Jess grabs my hand. "Bye now!" She quickly pulls me away through the crowd. We have a secret spot we sit at by the end of the field. Not the best view of the game, but it's far enough away from everybody not to be seen. Even the band misses us when they come out for half time. She leads me all the way there out of sight. We sit down and Jess pulls out some candy from her pockets.

               "Thank god!" She exclaims as she hands me some skittles, "they wouldn't stop talking!"

               "Seriously?" I ask as I open the bag.

               "Yes! All about Justin wanting to talk to us, and their new diets, and how terrible the new girl on the team is." She opens her candy and starts eating. "Thankfully, I bought this before they found me, or I would never had heard the end of it." We eat and talk most of the game. It's entertaining for once actually. Real neck in neck.

               Half time starts. The band does their performance which is as good as ever. Sadly, cut short by the festivities. The homecoming princesses walk down the field with their jock on arm. All looking stunning in their dresses. The senior is crowned queen as she should have been. We all clap, the photos are taken, and they gracefully leave the field. The players head out for the second half. They go to their edges of the field and start conversing.

               As me and Jess continue talking the ground starts to shake suddenly. The announcer says they are picking up some tremors, but that the news says they should end any minute. I get this gut feeling of doom.