Tremors

"Hey!" Jessica calls out to me. Jessica has always been the popular one. Her shine follows her into the room. Having beautiful deep brown hair, with green eyes like emeralds. A slender frame and fit physique. Beauty, grace, and fashion. The perfect picture for anything you could think of. Except her choice of friends. Me, being the complete opposite. Not popular, no makeup, no shine, just me in my sweats with my muddy blonde hair in a messy bun. My eyes are even boring, light gray. I'll never understand why she decided to be friends with me.

               "Hey Jess," I respond from the bench I was studying at. Jess sits down next to me and places her Gucci purse on the ground beside her feet clad in nails and glitter gel.

               "What's up girly?" Jess asks turning over to me.

               "How many times have do I have to tell you not to talk to me like your cheer squad?"

               "You're right. I'm sorry." Jess relaxes herself and dials down the charm. Resting into the bench.

               "When are you going to stop putting on that mask around everyone?" I ask looking over at her.

               "When are you?"

               "What are you talking about?"

               "That's what I love about you Aria. I can be completely myself around you."

               "You should always be completely yourself." I snap back.

               "Anyways," Jess continues changing the subject. "Want to go to the game tonight?"

               "The homecoming football game?" I grumble. "To watch you win queen again?"

               "No," Jess rolls her eyes at me. "You can't run more than once in your high school career."

               "Didn't stop the whole grade from trying," I say under my breath.

               "Come on please? We can dress up, and just hang out."

               "I can watch you hang out with your cheerleaders and council members you mean."

               "Please....my parents are out of town again." Jess' smile always disappears when talking about her parents. That's how me and her became friends. I was the only one real enough to come stay with her during her parents business trips. Everyone else viewed her as a place to have parties. Good thing she shut that down real fast, which is why everyone is only friends with her at school. Fake people.

               "Weren't they suppose to come back Wednesday?" I ask her.

               "Yeah," she sighs. "They extended to hopefully land a business deal with someone who was staying at the same hotel." Jess looks so sad talking about her parents.

               "Fine," I agree. "I'll dress up a little bit." Jess gleams with excitement. "I said a little bit."

               "Whatever you say." I chuckle. "Get you out of those sweat pants for once."

               "You wish."

               I pay for my ticket into the game and walk down the steps to the concession stand. I slowly walk over to Jess and her group. Ever since she started cheer the girls have tried to drive her away from me. I'm too low class, I look too bad, my personality is unsettling. Among anything else they can think of. Thankfully, Jess learned fast that everyone at this school has a motive. Something I always knew, but it took her a few stumbles and falls to fully realize. Unfortunately, some big people have kids that go here. Kids that Jess' parents said she had to be nice to no matter what rumors they start about her. I told my parents I was never going to get sucked into this toxic environment for them. That's why they are often away on business as well. I just stopped caring about them a long time ago, and I believe they think the same way about me. Why do rich people even have kids?