━━━ 001 ▸ 𝙋𝙚𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙋𝙖𝙧𝙠𝙚𝙧 | Sleep

Start from the beginning

so that's how you found yourself, cuddled into peter's arms, wearing one of his nerdy math shirts. your body was as relaxed as ever, as the warmth of his body bled into yours, his arms firm and reassuring around you, yet your mind was overactive. the familiar anxiety crept in, and for a moment, you were frozen.

it had been a long time since you felt like this, the same paralyzing feeling taking over your body.

it'd been a very long time since you'd slept without the soothing podcasts or at the very least a video playing in the background, and you'd become almost dependant on it.

"pete. do you think... could you talk to me?" you asked him, shifting your face to meet his sleepy eyes.

"you want me to talk to you? don't you want to sleep?" he asked you, his voice low from sleep and exhaustion

"it's okay if you can't, i just... struggle to sleep sometimes," you told him, suddenly embarrassed of your request, "i just need you to tell me a story, it can be anything,"

he fully looks at your now, his chocolate eyes tracing your face before nodding. you closed your eyes, as his voice started telling you about his day. and eventually, you drifted off into a sleep, his voice echoing in the back of your mind, warm in his embrace.

from then on, he was always there for you, replacing the podcasts with nightly calls to listen to him talk about his day, the weird things he saw in his patrols, the cool people he's met as spiderman.

the boy would go as far as to swing to your house at times, still in his spidey suit as he climbed through your window, on especially hard nights. he'd climb into bed with you, holding you in his arms as he talked, stroking your hair back and drawing patterns on your skin.

it was the best thing about peter. the fact that he never asked, or pushed you to share why you needed this. he never made you feel embarrassed or shy about it, but instead took into stride, as if this was just a part of his daily routine.

and for him? it was just more time with you. more time to memorize your face, the way you fit in his arms, the softness of your skin, the way you'd breathe.

time moved fast, and before you realized, it was already your three year anniversary.

it was a bright december afternoon as you made your way to the local coffeehouse. it was yours and peter's first official date spot, and it's the place you two always came back to, every single year for your anniversary.

peter was already seated in a corner table, with two drinks placed on the table. the boy was fidgeting more than ever, one leg vibrating with the energy he always carried inside him, when he spotted you.

you made your way to him quickly, the grin and joy almost bursting out of you as he enveloped you in a crushing hug.

"happy anniversary, darling," you grinned as his hands cupped your face and pulled you into a soft kiss, before allowing you to take a seat. peter cleared his throat slowly before pushing forward a letter across the table.

"what's this?" you asked, confusion filled your face, as you grabbed the letter off the table, turning it around in your hands, and inspecting every part. his familiar messy scrawl had written your name on the cover, surrounded by small stickers.

"this is uh, part one of my gift for you. um so, part two of my gift isn't exactly... something physical," he told you, his hands going to mess his hair, a nervous habit that only made him cuter.

"check your phone. oh um and you'll probably need headphones for this"

your phone lit up with a notification, and you took it in hand as you searched your pocket for your headphones.

plugging it in, you clicked on the notification, which took you to a playlist. clicking on the very first audio file, peter's very familiar voice flooded your ears.

"helloo. happy anniversary darling! sooo this is my gift to you, so you can sleep to my voice whenever you need to. i really hope you like this, because this playlist will be constantly updated with new episodes, maybe like 20 to 30 minutes of me just sharing stories and whatever i feel. i love you so much and i'm so glad you're in my life, and i just want to make sure you can listen to my voice whenever you need it most."

your mouth was open, in shock as you listened to peter talk in the file, looking at the nervous boy in front of you. he made you a podcast. a podcast so you can sleep well, so you can listen to his voice. the observant, kind boy in front of you, made you a podcast.

you ripped off the headphones, your voice shaky as you looked at him, your eyes slowly flooding with unshed tears. "peter, I-"

"do you like it? it's okay if you don't, but i know that you call me so you can sleep so i just wanted to make sure you can still have my voice to sleep to rather than having to wait for me after my patrols and-"

you cut him off, launching yourself at him to gather him into a kiss. it was rushed and imperfect, but it was soft, filled with everything you felt for him. you pulled away softly, your eyes searching his face.

"i love it, pete, this is... this is the best, most thoughtful gift anyone has ever given to me," you assured him, your adoration and love for him flooding your voice.

"i'm so lucky to have you." your voice was almost raw, in surprise and just pure love for him.

"of course. anything for you, darling." he grinned in reply, his eyes lighting up as you continued your date.

later that night, as you settled into your bed, you scrolled to his podcast, allowing the feeling and cadence of his voice to wash over you, as you were drawn into a blissful sleep.