07. KETTERDAM

━━━━━━━━━━🏹 T E U T A 🏹━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━
🏹 T E U T A 🏹
━━━━━━━━━━

The shiny ball was a mystery to Teuta. It was light like a feather but should be heavy because the object sounded solid if you knocked against it. And gold could weigh tons. She twisted and turned in in her hands, pressing it at various points but nothing happened.

"There must be a mechanism inside it," She sighed frustrated and handed it over to the man who looked like Sturmhond.

"Or maybe it's indeed broken," Inej in front of them commented.

"I guess we'll find out soon." Nikolai let the ball disappear in the pocket of his jacket before looking around. "The streets never get less busier."

"It's Ketterdam after all." Bassim behind them grunted.

He disliked the city even more than Teuta. She hated Inej for making her come here again. Her last memories with the capital of Kerch weren't good and she had sworn to herself to never return. Inej let them down the main road towards their destination. The Crow Club had expanded since the last time Teuta had stepped foot into this filthy place. Looks like Brekker has made yet another deal with the Devil – or a Sinner ...

"I'll go in first," Inej stopped in the middle of the street and turned around to her, taking a good look at Teuta. "If he sees me, he's more likely to help."

Nikolai turned to Teuta with a frown. "Have you met him before?"

"Unfortunately."

Inej rolled her eyes and started walking towards the door. Teuta aligned with Bassim. "Can you keep an eye out for trouble on the streets?"

"Of course." The huge pirate gave Teuta an reassuring nod when he stayed outside the building. "Good luck with him. You'll need it."

"What happened?", Nikolai whispered behind her when they entered the building.

"I'll tell you later."

"I can't wait, you know how much I love gossip!"

The Dregs inside the gambling hall greeted Inej with a warm smile and threw concerned looks over to Teuta. She couldn't blame them as most of them backed away as she followed Inej through the huge room over to the staircase. Nikolai threw constantly looks filled with questions towards her and Teuta was glad when he walked up the stairs behind her, so she didn't need to react to them. This was not the place to tell him, it could easily escalate into another fight with the Dregs. Better not mention past troubles around them because Teuta was seeking help from at least one of them.

Kaz Brekker's office was the room on top of the staircase. Everything inside was silent when the three visitors lined up in front of the door. He must have already heard them coming up the stairs, they hadn't been very quiet. And who knows if he would remember the foot pattern of Teuta and Nikolai.