Return Journey(Espresso & Madeleine)

(Quick author note: Hey! You! Yes, you, reader! Please, be aware that this chapter contains some horror elements, specifically body horror! If you're squeamish to that, please click away from this chapter!)

It has been months, nearly a year, since Madeleine and Milk Cookie went out for an adventure. What adventure? Well, they never specified, not even Milk Cookie, surprisingly. The cookies in the kingdom were a bit worried; neither of the cookies has ever been gone for so long, and it has been a bit hard defending anything with neither Milk nor Madeleine. Thankfully, some cookies came up with ideas and such, and so far, it has worked, but a few cookies here and there are still a tad bit anxious.

As for right now, there was a moment of peace. It was a nice, sunny day; blueberry birds were flying and chirping, while the leaves on the trees lightly flowed in the wind.

Espresso Cookie was walking down the stoned trail, slightly observing his surroundings while he carried around some books in his hands. He wasn't all that interested in nature, but he sure does like how quiet and sunny it is today, so might as well take advantage of that, right?

Walking... walking... walking, the silence in the kingdom was... uncanny to the point it was disturbing Espresso a bit. Nonetheless, he shrugged it off. The professor eventually approached an empty bench and sat down on it, opening one of the books.

From then on, the professor was silently reading his books. What a fast reader, already he was able to get through the entirety of the thickest book in a little over an hour. Since the book was no use to him anymore, Espresso Cookie put the book down next to him and picked up another book.

Before he could even open it, Espresso perked up at the sound of a familiar voice.

"Oh! Hello, Espresso!" A cheery, feminine voice spoke up.

Already, a rush of contempt coursed through Espresso as he narrowed his eye and slightly closed his book. A slight annoyance was present on his face. Morning. Ruined.

"It's nice to meet you on this sunny day, Latte Cookie," Espresso said as he looked to his right, seeing Latte standing right next to him, greeting the fellow professor with a bright smile. Honestly, that spooked him a bit, the sudden appearance that is.

It wasn't hard to notice the slight fright from Espresso, causing Latte to chuckle. "Sorry about that; I didn't expect to scare you! Mind if I sit next to you?"

Espresso Cookie glared at Latte Cookie, still having his eye narrowed. He really, really didn't want anyone, especially Latte, sitting next to him. Why would he want to be near a...light magic user...?

"Yes, yes I do mind," he blatantly answered.

This caused Latte to be a bit taken back, but normal Espresso Cookie behavior. Regardless, she respected his answer.

"Well... if you say so." Latte slightly frowned. She moved her spoon staff to her right hand just so she has a better view of the fellow cookie. Didn't take long at all to notice that he was reading some books... outside?

"Oh! Didn't know you liked reading books outside!"

Espresso blinked. He didn't think this was a big deal, not at all. "No, but since it was a nice day, I thought it was a good idea to."

Aw, that's a little cute. Latte couldn't help but have a big smile on her. "What a wonderful idea! Is it better than reading in your office?"

This small talk was already mind-numbing and irritating. Espresso Cookie let out a small groan as he looked back at the book he was reading. "If all you want to do is have small talk, then don't bother with me. I'm not interested; I have better things to do."