Chapter 4: Yes or No

Start from the beginning

"You're always together." No we were not. Or were we? I guess in the last week and the perception from an initiate's point of view yet. "You have the same piercings." I reached up briefly and touched the studs above my eyebrow.

"I see what you mean." I nodded and looked down at the ground.

"I apologize if I step out of bounds." Tris said wincing as she adjusted the ice pack on her face.

"None needed." I whisper, looking over at Eric. He glanced back briefly at me. I still hadn't given him an answer about the banquet. I had been too busy the last two days to even consider it. He needed to know by the end of the night. I honestly didn't want to go. Or did I?

"Avery!" Four called out too me and I looked up. He was waving me over to the mat.

"Will you be alright?" I asked Tris quickly and she nodded. Walking over to Four he asked me to join him on the mat. I shook off my jacket and boots. Moving to stand opposite him, he began to explain a tactic. Apparently he wasn't impressed with the last two fights.

"You need to watch how people move, study them in those brief moments of the fight." Four was explaining. "Avery, will advance on me, watch how I counter it." I mentally groaned. Taking up a stance mirroring Fours, I advance. Throwing a punch he blocked it. We circled each other. I repeated the move and he blocked again. We circled again. As I threw the third punch, he blocked then grabbed my arm. Quickly he twisted it forcing me to the ground with a loud thud. Eric had pulled the same move earlier that week. It didn't hurt any less when Four did it. Four began explaining that by him taking a few hits it allowed him to find how I moved and he used that against me. I laid there staring at the roof for a moment. Four came back over to me holding out his hand. Taking it I let him pull me up.

"Thanks for the warning." He smirked at my comment and turned away. I shook my head and left the mat. Glancing over at Eric as I did, he looked angry. Why I did not know. Four continued to instruct the initiates as I tied up my boots Tris was still resting on the bench. Glancing at the clock on the far wall I saw that the day was almost over. Stretching I let my back crack. I needed a massage. I returned to the group. Edward and Peter were sparing off against each other. They were at the top of the game. I stood between Four and Eric as the fight went on. Peter was knocking some low blows that I didn't agree with on Edward. I could feel the tension in the room rising. I looked to Four. He could see that this fight wasn't going to end well either. Edward had swiped Peter's feet from underneath him, ending the fight.

Peter wouldn't have it. Standing quickly he advanced against Edward, knocking him to the ground. He was out of control. Punching wildly at Edwards's poor face. Four and I lunged forward, each of us grabbing one of Peters arms pulling him back. Four ordered him to stop but he continued to struggle against us. Without warning his elbow came back with force, connecting with my nose. A loud crack echoed through the room. The force and pain flung me back onto the floor. The noise and motion in the room stopped. I groaned as I felt blood begin to flow from my nose. Four rushed to my side as I sat up. He took my face in his hand examining me. I had hoped Eric be the one at my side at that moment but Four would do.

"I'm fine." I said as I grasped Fours hands. He helped me up. Taking a breath I looked over a Peter and Edward. They stood shocked. Peter was looking to Eric, thinking that he may help. "What are you looking to him for?" I said whipping blood away from my nose. It hurt bad. Peter held up his hands attempting to calm me down as I advanced. Eric moved to stand between us.

"Avery, I'm sorry it was . ." I did not give him time to finish as I pushed Eric to the side. My fist connected with his face, forcing him to the ground. Eric grabbed me around the waist and pulled me back away from Peter. My breath was ragged. I was angry. Everyone stood silent.