"Mamá." You have to cut yourself off, not trusting your voice after seeing her withering state.

The woman seems to catch onto this fact, giving you an apologetic look and lightly caressing your knuckles. "How are things going between you and Camilo?"

Her sly question and look makes you laugh, and you shake your head. "We're doing really well."

She hums, looking off to the side and back to you. "Well I'm glad mi hija is with such a handsome young man. It really reminds me of your father and I-"

You laugh, and cut her off, having heard this small spiel from her before. "Okay, okay, ¡mamá! I get it." She stops, laughing as well, until a coughing fit cuts her off. Your smile immediately falls, reminded of the reality of her condition. Without some form of miracle, it won't be long before she's gone.

Noticing your sudden change in mood, your mother turns back to you, staring into your eyes and cupping your cheek as you lean into her touch. "Hija.., no matter what happens, I promise I'll be here with you. Don't worry about me, okay? Enjoy yourself. This'll all be over soon and you'll be able to live your life. Have a family with Camilo, grow closer to his family and help others."

She begins coughing again as you feel hot tears trail down your cheeks. Finally, she looks back at you, motioning for you to lean down as she kisses your cheek before falling back against her pillow. "Promise me, you'll be happy."

You nod, forcing yourself to smile. "Yo prometo, mamá."

Standing to your feet, you leave her side, allowing her to get some much needed rest once more. As you do, you take a deep breath, composing yourself. Wishing there was some way to know if there was a cure, you close your eyes.

After a moment, you wander the halls, staring blankly ahead.

The next few days pass by as usual, with Camilo being the one to get food and necessities, which always you and Pepa holding your breath. Today, you had woken up a bit late, causing you to fall behind on chores. So now you're wiping off and cleaning the tables, having finished with cleaning your room.

As soon as you finish, you sigh, happy to be done. Just sitting down and reading something sounds relaxing, and as you make your way to your room, you notice Julieta rushing by you, causing you to quirk an eyebrow. However, you shrug it off and pick out your favourite book.

At last, you leave the room, entering the main room when Julieta suddenly comes up to you, a worried expression across her face. "(Y/N)..."

Knowing what that meant, you race off to your mother's room, only to find almost everyone crowding the doorway. Upon seeing you, they part, letting you push through to your mother's side. "¡Mamá!" You immediately grab her hand, tightly holding on, as if you could somehow keep her from slipping away by doing so. Her eyes are half-lidded and you feel tears threaten to spill upon hearing no response. "¿Mamá?" You can hear your voice crack at the end, but it doesn't even feel like yours.

All you can focus on is your mother's expression, how tired and frail she looks, until you feel someone's arms wrap around your frame, pulling you close. "Shh... Mi vida, it'll be okay." Faintly, you can make out Camilo's voice, and his words seem to be the switch. You feel the tears fall, and you have to stop a sob from escaping your throat. As you bow your head, you can feel Camilo's head rest on top of yours, his hand rubbing your back soothingly.

The rest of the night is silent on your end. You don't really speak and you skip dinner, instead choosing to sit in your room that you share with Camilo, staring blankly at the wall. You hear the door open, but you don't look over, already knowing who it is.