14. Consequences of Genius

 "Hypothetical, Tony?" Malka snaps quietly as the Avengers search through the lab. "What about this was hypothetical?"

"Your involvement."

She scoffs and leaves him to his devices as she attempts to boot up whatever's left after Ultron's swan dive into their system. It's a tangled mess of code, all disoriented and all destroyed. A beautiful piece of tech obliterated.

"All our work is gone," Banner says. "Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch."

"Ultron," Steve repeats.

"He's been in everything," Malka says with a sigh. "Files, surveillance. Anything electronic about us, he knows. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other."

Rhodes steps forward, holding his injured arm. "He's in your files, he's in the internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?"

Maria looks up as she takes pieces of glass out of her foot. "Nuclear codes."

"Nuclear codes. Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can."

"Nukes?" Natasha shakes her head. "He said he wanted us dead."

"He didn't say dead, he said extinct," Steve says.

"He also said he killed somebody," Barton adds.

Malka shakes her head. "There wasn't anyone else in the building."

"Yes, there was." Tony turns around and brings up an image. A broken piece of tech floating in the air, destroyed from the inside out. JARVIS.

"This is insane," Banner mutters as he circles the tech.

Steve looks down with his arms crossed. "JARVIS was the first line of defense. He would've shut Ultron down, it makes sense."

"No, Ultron could've assimilated JARVIS. This isn't strategy, this is rage."

Thor stomps into the room, his hand wrapping around Tony's throat. As the others all start calling Thor out, Malka simply steps beside him and jabs his side. He drops Tony behind her, and she steps in before he can try again. "Legionnaire, Thor."

His muscles tense. "Trail went cold about a hundred miles out, but it's headed north, and it has the scepter. Now, we have to retrieve it again."

"The genie's out of that bottle," Natasha says. "Clear and present is Ultron."

"I don't understand." Everyone turns to the small voice as Helen looks at Tony. "You built this program. Why is it trying to kill us?"

Tony begins laughing. Not just laughing but giggling. Malka clenches her jaw as Thor asks, "You think this is funny?"