She spoke with a light tone. Únik could tell she didn't mean it, only using the promise of fulfilling that night's possibilities to encourage Únik to leave. To chase after and stop Hatyara. And she was right. This was not Únik's nation, not her city and not her king. But Hatyara was Únik's friend and Ylthara her love. Between them, they had made it her responsibility.

Laying Ylthara down upon the step, she picked up the ice-like sword, pressing it into the Ice-Kin's hand and began to stand, tightening her grip upon her spear. Ylthara held on to Únik's hand for a little while longer, before releasing it and resting her head back against the curving wall, a sad smile upon her face.

Taking the stairs one-by-one, Únik didn't look back. She couldn't lest she fall to her knees before Ylthara, dragging her into an embrace. She had to move forward, to reach the King's chambers. There to meet Hatyara once more and put an end to the madness begun by her father.

-+-

The ice missile slammed into the wall, sending debris flying in several directions, dust filling the air within the chambers. As soon as Únik stepped into the room, it was obvious, even to her, where the secret hiding place would be within the room. A stretch of wall, thick slabs of stone, filling one side of the room, squaring off a section within a room that should have followed the circular nature of the tower.

Bodies of Hagragng guards littered the room, battered by ice missiles, caught upon stakes of ice, hanging limp and lifeless as their blood flowed down the ice to pool upon the floor. Others lacerated by showers of icicles that had pierced their bodies in many places. Hatyara had despatched them as easy as waving a hand. The way she had tried to kill Únik, killing Barsa instead.

"I knew it would be you." Hatyara turned her head towards Únik. No expression passed across her face as she held up a hand, forming another missile to fire at the wall from the ambient water in the air. "It could only be you."

"Hatyara, you must stop this before it's too late." Stepping forward, Únik lowered the head of her spear. She didn't want to appear threatening if she could help it. "Surrender. Stop this madness. A war between Alharai and Hagragng would only be a waste of lives."

Hatyara glared at Únik, flicking a finger upon her other hand and a fence of ice spikes shot upwards from the floor, cutting Únik off from the rest of the room and Hatyara. Through the gaps, Únik saw the missile finish forming and Hatyara launched it towards the wall. It hit, smashing into the stones, but this time it had dislodged a stone. It fell to the floor and Únik saw into the hidden room beyond.

"A waste of lives." Inclining her head, Hatyara considered that. "Such as the life of my brother? Wasted in a petty skirmish against the Hagragng over a piece of land that is worthless! That kind of waste?"

"A waste of hundreds of lives! Of thousands, even! All for revenge? It's pathetic!" Even though Hatyara remained calm, Únik could not. She could never get used to people dying for nothing. "So, you kill Vraniik. What then? Your nations go to war, someone wins and then it all calms down again until some Hagragng decides to seek revenge for the killing of Vraniik? When does it end? How many have to die before someone realises that revenge is empty? Meaningless."

"You never could understand. That's why I never told you the truth." Another missile began to form in the air before Hatyara and the Ice-Kin did not even look at it. Her almost-white eyes never left Únik. "Even after I found out you had killed your husband, for revenge, I knew you wouldn't understand. But then, after you abandoned me, Shihiri told me the Hagragng had killed her father. I knew she would understand. I told her and she decided to help, there and then. She is so much more reliable than you. So much stronger."