6

6

They found a cave far too small for bears. Too small, even, for themselves. Barsa sat at the mouth of the cave, staring out across the tundra all night, making the occasional growl, disappearing for short times and returning to sit back in the exact same spot he had left.

Únik hated the close proximity to the Ice-Kin, not wanting to be near the creature anymore. Despite that, the size of the cave left little room to sit apart and the girl's surprising body heat helped to stave off the cold. Únik had not wanted to build a fire, even though she had seen enough brush to build a small one. The chances of their pursuers seeing the light made her wary of giving them something to guide themselves by.

After much tossing and turning, Únik managed to fall asleep, assailed by the kinds of dreams she had not experienced for some time. Dreams of her old life, back in the village deep in Uriok, where she had scratched a living, once, with a husband and daughter. A daughter long since dead and a husband that followed her into death. Even in her dreams, Únik felt her ire rise as she remembered the man.

Interspersed with memories she wished she could forget, she found new horrors awaiting her behind closed eyes. Images of her dogs, dragged beneath black, fetid waters, their fur, faces and eyes frosting, freezing, becoming as black as the water. As cold and frigid as the wastes themselves. She saw Gislarik, old and unkempt as ever, his body catching aflame, burning before her eyes and becoming ash.

She jerked awake to find Hatyara staring at her, arms across her small chest. She seemed so much smaller than before, even more like a child. The Ūtharan lifted a hand to her mouth, a single finger pressing upon her lips, urging silence. Then the girl transformed, her hair darkening to almost black, ringlets falling about her face that now became bloodied and bruised. Her skin changed from ice blue, to a dark, swarthy brown and Únik realised she did not look upon Hatyara, but her daughter, Thesik.

"Stay away from the star in the north, mother." The girl, Thesik now, not Hatyara spoke without lips moving. "Stay away. She is not what she seems."

Sitting up, Únik cracked her head upon the low ceiling of the cave. Clutching at her scalp, she looked to the side to find Hatyara fast asleep, curled onto her side. At the mouth of the cave, Barsa now stood, growling out into the near darkness, readying to run, but staying in place, feet pawing at the ground.

"Hush, Barsa!" Nothing more than a whisper, Únik reached out to Barsa, pressing upon his back to make him lie down. She gazed out towards the tundra, following the dog's eyes. "What do you see?"

She saw nothing at first, only rough, rocky ground and the few clumps of brush and weeds. Then, she caught a flicker, some way off, and another and another. Torch light. Gripping Barsa by his collar, she dragged him deeper into the small cave, turning her back to the small opening and lifting her snow bear fur hood over her head.

"What's happening?" Nudged by Barsa's long legs as he settled down, Hatyara opened her eyes, beginning to sit up.

Únik clamped her hand over the girl's mouth, pushing her back to the cave floor. She tried to cover both the girl and Barsa's bodies with her own, crouching to try to make her form appear larger. She could hear movement behind her and Hatyara struggled beneath her hand, attempting to talk, muffled by Únik's large fingers. Barsa laid low, his growls now gone, but his ears still pricked.

"What is it, Ice-Kin?" A man's voice travelled towards Únik's ears, but she dared not move.

"A cave. Something's in it." Another voice, female, with an accent similar to the clipped, haughty way that Hatyara spoke.

"Hey! Away from it, girl! That's a snow bear!" Fear and haste entered the man's voice, the rough drawl of Hagragng noticeable to Únik's ears. "A little one, aye, but even one that size would rip us apart. Best left alone. Come on!"